Windows 7 won't recognize my DC-ROM

Ok, here’s the skinny..

I have a Dell something..

Intel® Pentium® 4 CPU 3.20 GHz 3.19GHz

3.00 GB

32-bit Operating System

Windows 7 Home Premium

My problem is that I am unable to use my CD-ROM.

About a year ago my DC-ROM took a dump and stopped opening so I just never used it.. Well, about 2 months ago I upgraded from XP to Win 7.. The other day I needed to run an CD and decided to put in a new CD-ROM. Took the old out and put the new in. Problem is that even though it is plugged in (long skinny data cable and what appears to be a 3-pring power plug) it won’t work. The CD-ROM opens and closes but Win 7 won’t recognize it.

Trouble shooting 101: Yes, the CD-ROM works.. I took it out of this out of my last Dell PC that it came in.. The ROM is a SONYCD-RW CRX216E. After discovering that it won’t work in this PC I put it back in the old Dell.. Plugged it in, tossed in a CD and BAM! Works just fine.. Took it back out of that old PC and put it in this PC and nothing.. It should be noted the other PC is running XP..

So now I’m like WTF.. So, I decided to plug in the old CD-ROM  that came w/ this PC that is broken and reboot.. And Win 7 still won’t recognize this one either..

Now I don’t know when I lost control of my CD-ROM because I haven’t used it in so long.. I don’t know if I lost it after installing Win 7 or what.. I do know I can’t get it to work now..

I’ve tried reading forums and can’t seem to find a fix.. I even tried to run the built in Win 7 troubleshooting program and it say’s it is not detecting an Optical something or another drive. When I open my Device Manager it does not show any CD-ROM installed.

I even tried going to Dell and downloading the latest drivers for the ROM, which was last updated in 2004, and running those.. End result, NOTHING..

Anyone got any ideas?

Question Info

Last updated March 13, 2018 Views 1,863 Applies to:
Answer

Hi,

Do you have any third party CD burning Software?

If yes, uninstall the software and check for the issue.

a. Check in device manager under Other devices, it might be named as other device.

b. If nothing is listed there then it is a data cable problem. The device is not getting detected at all.

c. You may try connecting to a different port as well.

Disclaimer: Modifying the CD\DVD ROM settings incorrectly can cause serious problems that may prevent your computer from booting properly. Microsoft cannot guarantee that any problems resulting from the configuring of CD\DVD ROM settings can be solved. Modifications of the settings are at your own risk.

d. You may try the Fixit tool mentioned in the below article that will help you fix the issue automatically.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/314060   

I hope the above information helps you.

Regards,

Manasa P – Microsoft Support.

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.