Enable bi directional support

I have installed a printer/fax to the main computer on my home network. It is working fine on this computer which is Vista, the laptops are both windows 7. I successfully installed it onto one laptop through the network and am able to print from the laptop. The other laptop, although it installs it, (through add printer and network) wont allow me to print. Shows error 0x0000000d. I have tried installing it locally as suggested in the forum, and as before, it installs but wont print. Tells me to..enable bi directional support.. When I go into Ports, it wont allow me to click onto this. I have even tried installing directly from the CD using the USB Cable. Once again it installs but wont print and tells me to turn on bi directional support. HOW CAN I TURN IT ON IF IT IS GREYED OUT??? All the drivers and networking settings are set correctly.. When I attempt to print, the message comes up UNABLE TO CONNECT TO PRINTER, TURN ON BI DIRECTIONAL SUPPORT.This is greyed out though. Appreciate some help. Regards Jan

Question Info

Last updated August 20, 2018 Views 8,297 Applies to:
Answer
When the check box is greyed out the printer does not use a Language Monitor or you do not have access to the setting.  If you have Pro or Ultimate use printmanagement.msc to administrate local printers.  If you can enable the Printer Pooling check box the device is not using a Language Monitor.
Alan Morris Windows Printing Team; Search the Microsoft Knowledge Base here: http://support.microsoft.com/search/Default.aspx?adv=1
Formerly with Windows print team

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.