Virtual USB port not available in Windows 7 printer port drop down list

When trying to add a local printer (HP Laser Jet 6L) connected to my Windows 7 Professional Dell laptop via a USB port, the Virtual USB (USB001) port option is not listed in the printer port drop down list. There are no USB port options listed. Creating a new port does not work either.

Since the HP LasereJet 6L requires a parallel port, which is not available on the laptop, I am using a USB to Parallel cable. I have installed a driver for the 6L, which W7 recognizes. But the computer is not communicating to the printer. 

What needs to be done to get the Virtal USB port (USB001) option in the drop down list?

Question Info

Last updated December 12, 2018 Views 179,575 Applies to:
Answer

Hi vebo001, 

Step 1: Check the following setting:

1.    Click Start -> Devices and Printers.

2.    Right click on the printer -> Select Printer properties.

3.    Under the  Ports tab -> Clear the Enable bidirectional support check box.

Step 2:  You may also try the following work around:

1.     Open Printers by clicking the Start button, clicking Control Panel, clicking Hardware and Sound, and then clicking Printers.

2.     Click Add a printer.

3.     In the Add Printer wizard, click Add a local printer.

4.     Click Create a new port. Make sure Local Port is selected in the list, and then click Next.

5.     In the Port Name dialog box, type \\computer name\printer name, and then click OK.

6.     Complete the rest of the wizard, and then click Finish.

Additionally refer the following link which addresses similar issue and follow the suggestions given by “Alan Morris” to fix this issue.

http://social.answers.microsoft.com/Forums/en/w7hardware/thread/cede656d-bafa-47b2-b4e0-ed86b132e39d

Regards,

Divya R – Microsoft Support.

199 people were helped by this reply

·

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.