Question

Q: Can't eject USB Hard drive, drive always in use?

I have a 500gb Maxtor OneTouch 4 external usb backup drive that is set to do weekly backups with Windows Backup. This works great except that everything and their grandmother wants to spin the hard drive up whenever possible. This is not an ideal situation: with exception to backup, this drive is not used for anything. So I had a great idea, I'll keep the drive unmounted until I need to backup which then a newly created scheduled task would mount, backup and unmount when done! Well, turns out, Windows doesn't think so. And this makes me a sad panda.

Safely eject hardware, you know that well hidden tray icon that really should be an eject option when you right click on the drive in Computer? Well, it shoots down my plans immediately with our favorite dialog, "This device is currently in use. Close any programs or windows that might be using the device, and then try again." Tried using another application USB Disk Eject, and it fails for the same reason. 

Nuts, looks like I'll find what's locking it. Process Explorer pointed out that it is currently in use by only one application, svchost.exe:312.

Which svchost are we talking about? Oh the one that handles Windows Audio Endpoint Builder, Offline Files, HID Access, HomeGroup, Network Connections, Program Compatibility Assistence, Superfect, Tablet PC, Distributed Link Tracking Client, Remote Desktop UserMode, Desktop Window Manager Session Manager, WLAN Config, and Windows Driver Foundation - UDF. So killing this service off certainly isn't a smart idea.

I even had more fun when I saw what it's looking at:
Only two handles pointing at B:\:
Handle: B:\System Volume Information\tracking.log
Handle: B:\$Extend\$ObjId

It's looking at NTFS related files. Awesome.

Ok Windows, let's duel! What does the system log say about this?
Information 11/12/2009 11:40:39 PM UserPnp 20011 (7006)
Device action request for device 'USB\VID_0D49&PID_7310\2HA1180Z____' was vetoed by 'STORAGE\Volume\{3a73b258-9be7-11de-8ce7-806e6f6e6963}#0000001388100000' with veto type 6.

Warning 11/12/2009 11:49:31 PM Kernel-PnP 225 (223)
The application System with process id 4 stopped the removal or ejection for the device USB\VID_0D49&PID_7310\2HA1180Z____.

Down for the count in one move. Touche windows.

Life according to Device Manager:
Removal policy: [x] Quick removal (default)
Volumes: 
(Unnamed volume that is not assigned in Disk Management) 80,000 MB
Backup (B:) 396,937 MB

Unnamed partition currently has a corrupt fat32 partition, I removed its drive letter because it is used for PS3 backups.

Any ideas why I can't eject? I'm certainly out of them...

Answer

A:

Hello Xiata,

Welcome to Microsoft Answers Forum!        

To troubleshoot the issue better, please let us know the details mentioned below:

a)    Was it working fine before?

It might occur because of virus or third party software conflicts. Try to perform a clean boot and online virus scan and check whether it helps you to fix the issue.

To find out which startup application is causing the issue, try to perform clean boot.

Clean Boot will help you start your computer by using a minimal set of drivers and startup programs so that you can determine whether a background program or any of the third party service is interfering with your program.

Steps to perform a Clean Boot:

1. Click Start on your Desktop
2. Type msconfig in the Start Search box and then press ENTER.
If you are prompted for an administrator password or for a confirmation, type the password, or click   Continue.

3. On the General tab, click Selective Startup.
4. Under Selective Startup, click to clear the Load Startup Items check box.
5. Click the Services tab, click to select the Hide All Microsoft Services check box, and then click Disable All.
6. Click OK.
7. When you are prompted, click Restart.

If the computer boots fine after clean boot, then there are some non Microsoft applications causing the problem. To find out which application causing the problem refer from step 2 to step 6 in the article this is mentioned in the clean boot article.
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/331796

Once you find out the application which is causing the issue, i would suggest you to uninstall and reinstall the application.

To return your computer back to normal boot:

1. Click Start on your Desktop
2. Type msconfig in the Start Search box and then press ENTER.
If you are prompted for an administrator password or for a confirmation, type the password, or click   Continue.

3. Click the General tab.
4. Click Normal Startup - load all device drivers and services, and then click OK.
5. When you are prompted, click Restart to restart the computer.

For information on using “Clean Boot”, see the following Microsoft Article:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/331796

To run an online virus scan on the computer, please refer the link mentioned below:

http://onecare.live.com/site/en-us/default.htm

I hope this information helps. Please get back to us if you have any more questions about this issue.

Thanks and Regards
Mir - Microsoft Answers Support Engineer                                                              
Visit our http://social.answers.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/answersfeedback/threads

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

4 people were helped by this reply

Question Info

Views: 131,462 Last updated: July 15, 2018 Applies to: