Windows 7 stops randomly with a USB Disconnect/Connect sound

I recently bought Windows 7 Professional and Office 2007 to go a long with it, and installed Windows 7 fine. It ran without the problem until I installed Office 2007 half a week later. The problem is that randomly, every now and then the computer just stops, noticeably my mouse stops moving with the loading circle and a USB connect/disconnect sound for about second before running again. This happens regardless of what I'm doing, whether I'm out on the desktop, or actively using a program it still occurs.

I've tried changing the USB slot that my mouse is connected to, changing the mouse, uninstalling the Office updates I had immediately before getting the problem, uninstalling Office 2007 itself, uninstalling any Windows updates I had around that time, changing my power settings, device settings, finding drivers, and it had no effect.

I had checked the eventlog for anything that seemed out of place, and none of the events there correspond to when the problem happens.

So, so far I'm completely stumped, whether or not Office is actually related I'm not even sure. Combed the web for answers and still haven't found any solutions.

Any help would be nice.

Question Info

Last updated March 30, 2018 Views 3,469 Applies to:
Answer

Hi DanNG77,

Please be sure that you have updated the drivers for your machine and mouse.  Also be sure you've installed the most recent software for your mouse.

Please also see the following article with some helpful information:

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows7/Tips-for-fixing-common-driver-problems

Hope this helps!

Debra
Microsoft Answers Support Engineer
Visit our Microsoft Answers Feedback Forum and let us know what you think

1 person was helped by this reply

·

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.