Problem with Blue Ray playback

I recently upgraded to Windows 7 (64bit) Every thing works fine except for playing Blue Ray movies (DVD's work fine)

The biggest problem is that the sound is distorted, almost staticky(sic) and some movies the picture and sound is lagging.

I've reinstalled Windows twice, latest drivers have been downloaded and I've even searced for the latest drivers from the individual manufacturers to ensure that I have the latest drivers. I have also rececntly purcased the latest Blue Ray software (WinDVD 2010) hoping this would solve the problem with no success.

I have the following theories and would appreciate some input as to if if one of these points might be the case and if it can be rectified.

1. The IDE ATA/ATAPI Controler Drivers are wrong.

I think this might be the case as when going into the Device Manager and trying to access the advanced properties of any of the ATA Channels of the above mentioned controler there is no devices which allow me to enable DMA. Now as far as what I've been able to gather on after doing my homework on the net is that this has in the past caused proplems with jittery playong back on older Operating Systems. Now surely I'm not the only one who sees that there might be a problem here with incorrect or missing drivers?  If I don't have the option to enable DMA how can I rule out it's not causing the problem as has been the case in the past with other Win Os's. I have been unseccesful locating drivers on the net for this device.

2. The Drivers for the Blue Ray Drive are missing
When selecting driver details in Device Manager there is only one driver being used and that is the cdrom.sys file. Now I am not sure about this one but should there not be atleast two different drivers being used here? The basic Windows one and the one for the drive? The second theory is a total shot in the dark on my part.

Hoping someone out there can help me.

Question Info

Last updated March 13, 2018 Views 521 Applies to:
Answer
Hi jwol27,    

Check if the below article is helpful in enabling DMA.
http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows7/Turn-Direct-Memory-Access-DMA-on-or-off

I would suggest you to contact your computer manufacturer (for IDE ATA/ATAPI Controler driver) and blue ray drive manufacturer for their drivers.

Hope this information is helpful.

Umesh P - Microsoft Support

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.