Question

Q: flash drive and external hard drive and i phone are not recognised

I have a Packard Bell touch screen computer running windows 7.

The machine will not recognise my usb mass storage devices or flsh drives even though they have previously worked.
I would welcome advice on how to fix this

Answer

A:

Hi,

Did you try all the steps that I have suggested?

If you have tried, then what was the result?

I would suggest you to follow the below steps and check if it helps:

Step: 1

Disable Windows media player from turn Windows features on or off, here are the steps:

1. Click the Start button, click Control Panel, click Programs, and then click Turn Windows features on or off. If you're prompted for an administrator password or confirmation, type the password or provide confirmation.
2. Click on Media Features, Uncheck Windows media Player, and hit ok.

For more information, logon to:
http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows7/Turn-Windows-features-on-or-off

Step:2

Uninstall Itunes from your computer. Download the windows installer cleanup utility amd remove the software completely. you can click this link:
www.support.microsoft.com/kb/290301

Step:3

Restart the computer.

Step:4

Install the latest version of iTunes on the computer and try connecting iPhone and check if it detects.

Once you finish every thing, follow the steps provided in step1 and enable windows media player.

For other Usb devices not recognizing, try deleting upper filter and lower filters and check if it helps:

·         Delete the USB "Upper Filter" & "Lower Filter" Entry

Before we go any further, please first backup the Registry.

Important This section, method, or task contains steps that tell you how to modify the registry. However, serious problems might occur if you modify the registry incorrectly. Therefore, make sure that you follow these steps carefully. For added protection, back up the registry before you modify it. Then, you can restore the registry if a problem occurs. For more information about how to back up and restore the registry in Windows:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/322756

1.   Click “Start”, type “REGEDIT” (without quotation marks) in the “Search” bar and press Enter.

Note: If UAC (User Account Control) pops up, please accept it.

2. Right click “Computer” (the root node) in the left pane, click “Export” under the “File” menu, choose “All” under “Export range”, select “Desktop” in the “Save” in box and type backup in “File Name”. Click “Save”.

Note: The backup file is on the Desktop and named backup.reg. We can simply restore the registry by double-clicking the backup.reg file.

3. Click “Start”, type “REGEDIT” (without quotation marks) in the “Search” bar and press Enter again.

4. Locate the “UpperFilters” value under the following key in the registry:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Class\{36FC9E60-C465-11CF-8056-444553540000}

5. On the “Edit” menu, click “Delete”, and then click “OK”.

6. Locate the “LowerFilters” value under the same key in the registry:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Class\{36FC9E60-C465-11CF-8056-444553540000}

7. On the “Edit” menu, click “Delete”, and then click “OK”.

8. Quit Registry Editor and restart the computer.

Please respond back with the status of the issue and let us know if you have any issues.

Azam – Microsoft Support.

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Views: 1,313 Last updated: March 13, 2018 Applies to: