Logitech g5 gaming mouse Win7 usb random power failures

Ok, after months of searching for answers as to why my g5 dies randomly I thought I'd beat my head against the wall some more here with the faintest glimmer of hope I might have overlooked a possible solution. People are already thinking, why am I posting about a logitech device here? Simply because I dont believe there is anything wrong with the mouse or the logitech drivers and I'm looking for a nasty, evil, evil culprit within windows. I love this mouse and it may sound dumb, but from a gamers point of view - upgrading to a newer model/diff brand mouse is not a solution. This is "the mouse" for me.

This device worked perfectly till I upgraded to windows 7, I have had it a few years and a very similar model for years prior to it. I have faith in it and it's durability. What I experience is difficult to explain but have seen it described often elsewhere. At times that seem completely random, the usb power to the mouse fails. Then, after anything from 0.1s to 30s it returns. Some days this happens once, other days, like today - it will occur every 15s whilst in game and the machine is under stress. I've attempted switching usb ports, updated drivers for the mouse, chipset, tweeked power suspend settings and nothing has helped. I have tested another bottom of the line logitech mouse, not a problem at all. I've tested the g5 on XP OS machine, no issues. I'm not sure what has happened but until a few months ago, even with win7 installed the g5 worked perfectly. I believe an update I picked up somewhere along the way seems to have done something to cause the problem. Unfortunately though, I have no idea which or how to resolve the problem. Any advice would be much appreciated, as I'm about ready to give win7 the shelf and revert back to a more trustworthy XP.

Question Info

Last updated March 13, 2018 Views 552 Applies to:
Answer

I had a similar problem using an Xbox 360 controller. When I was heavy into a game, my audio would sound like it was playing through a fuzz box (I have a USB sound device also), and then the controller would quit. I found that the controller was drawing just about the limit for my MB, and the extra draw of gaming put it over the top.
Long story short, I bought a small powered hub and plug my Xbox controller and USB sound device into it. Problem solved!

SC Tom

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.