"Access Denied" error message after transfering hard drive to new computer

Hello all, my question is this (long story/short): I have changed laptops. The monitor went out on one it was going to be $200+ to fix so I bought a new one. For the purpose of information recovery I took the hard drive out of the old laptop, Vista OS, and put it in my desktop plugged up SATA to move the information over to my external hard drive.

I go to the Users folder on the hard drive and see the Owner profile and the Public profile. Unfortunatly none of my information is saved in the Public profile. When I try to access the Owner profile is says: "Access is Denied." I feel that this is probably in part to the fact that I had a password on the profile. Is there a way that the password can be deleted from this file through the registry?

Trying the drive as the primary and not a secondary was a failed attempt. The drive would not boot all the way through the startup because of hardware on the desktop. I am at a loss, I have looked on google for a resolution but with no prevail. Any help on this would be great thanks

Question Info

Last updated March 13, 2018 Views 1,191 Applies to:
Answer
This Microsoft Knowledge Base article has the solution: How to take ownership of a file or a folder in Windows XP (also applies to Windows Vista and Windows 7).
Boulder Computer Maven
Microsoft Most Valuable Professional
Steve Winograd

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.