Question

Q: hard drive not recognised This thread is locked from future replies

I have removed the hard drive from my old pc and inserted into a hard drive enclose... connected it up to my new pc and inserted the driver... although the hard drive can be seen in device manager, windows is not assigning a drive letter, I am also getting this error message... "This device cannot start. (Code 10)", in Devices and Printers it shows as "Unspecified" status "Needs Troublshooting". I have updated drivers and that hasnt worked either.... any suggestions?

Answer

A:

Hi,

a. Are the other USB devices working fine?
b. Does this device work fine on other computers?
c. Is this an external hard drive?

The Code 10 error pertains mainly to hardware and device driver issues or to compatibility issues between hardware drivers and additional software that is installed in Windows. Therefore, we recommend that you troubleshoot these issues by focusing on device drivers, on device configuration issues, and on hardware compatibility issues. You might need to update the chipset drivers and the USB controller.

Method 1.
If your computer is having problems with a recently installed device or other hardware, try using the Hardware and Devices troubleshooter to fix the problem. It checks for common issues and makes sure that any new device or hardware attached to your computer was installed correctly.
Refer to the article below for steps:

For more information refer to the links below:
Update a driver for hardware that isn't working properly
http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows7/Update-a-driver-for-hardware-that-isnt-working-properly
Method 2.
Please refer to the following KB article and follow the troubleshooting steps listed.
Description of Code 10-related errors that Device Manager generates in Windows-based computers
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/943104/

Method 3.
Refer to the folowing article for steps and check if you are able to assign the drive letter manually.

Please post back to let us know if this information was helpful or not so that we may further assist you if need be.

Thanks and Regards:
Shekhar S - Microsoft Support.

Visit our Microsoft Answers Feedback Forum and let us know what you think.

If this post helps to resolve your issue, please click the "Mark as Answer" or "Helpful" button at the top of this message. By marking a post as Answered, or Helpful you help others find the answer faster.
Thanks and Regards,
Shekhar Sharma

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Views: 429 Last updated: March 13, 2018 Applies to: