DVD drive not recognized unless I "scan for hardware changes"

I have 2 IDE optical drives in my desktop, a Sony DDU1612 DVD-ROM (cable select in the slave position), and a Pioneer DVR-116D DVD-RW (cable select in the master position).  

These worked great until I installed Windows 7, and actually still work great. The only problem is that each time the computer is booted, the Pioneer will not show up until I go into device manager, under DVD/CD-ROM drives and "scan for hardware changes" (the Sony is always recognized as it should be) - then everything works fine, until I reboot the system.  

Is there a permanent way to fix this so that both devices are automatically recognized each boot?

Question Info

Last updated March 13, 2018 Views 1,447 Applies to:
Answer

Hi bmkitche

Thank you for using Microsoft Answers Forums!

First, please double check the master/slave jumpers and the cable/power connections. Also, please check if the DVD drive is detected by BIOS. You can contact the motherboard manufacturer for more information about how to access and check the BIOS settings.

If the DVD drive can be detected in BIOS, please continue to check the registry key by the steps below. However, if the DVD drive cannot be detected by BIOS, please contact the hardware manufacturer/vendor to check the hardware for you.

1. Click the Start Button, type regedit in the "Start Search" text box and then press ENTER.

2. Navigate to the following key:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Class\{4D36E965-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}

3. Right click the {4D36E965-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318} entry, choose "Export", select Desktop in the Save in box and type backup in File Name. Click Save.

Please Note: The backup file is on the Desktop and named backup.reg. We can simply restore the registry by double-clicking the backup.reg file.

4. Highlight this key ({4D36E965-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}), on the right pane, and then check if Upperfilters and Lowerfilters value are present. If so, please right click on the values and select "Delete" to remove them.

5. Restart the computer.

Is the drive listed?

If the drive is listed, try to play or access a CD or DVD.
If you cannot play or access a CD or DVD, you may have to reinstall some programs. Some programs might not be able to use your CD or DVD drive until you reinstall those programs. If the problem occurs again when you install or uninstall those programs, contact the manufacturer of the program to see if an update is available that solves the problem. Some examples of programs that might be affected are:

·         iTunes software by Apple

·         Nero software by Nero Inc

·         Roxio Creator software by Sonic Solutions

·         Zune software by Microsoft

Remove and reinstall drivers

If the drive is not listed, remove and reinstall the existing drivers. To do this, follow these steps:

1.      Click StartCollapse this imageExpand this imag, and then click Control Panel.

2.      Click System and Security, click System, and then click Device Manager.
Note If Control Panel is in Classic View, double-click System, and then click Device Manager. Collapse this imageExpand this imagIf you are prompted for an administrator password or for a confirmation, type the password, or click Allow.

3.      In Device Manager, expand DVD/CD-ROM drives, right-click the CD and DVD devices, and then click Uninstall.

4.      When you are prompted to confirm that you want to remove the device, click OK.

5.      Restart the computer.

After the computer restarts, the drivers will be automatically installed

Refer to this link for More Information: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/314060

Hope this information was helpful.

Let me know if this worked.

All the best!

Thanks and Regards,

Uma R    - Microsoft Support.

Visit our Microsoft Answers Feedback Forum and let us know what you think.

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.