"Tuner Not Available"

In Windows 7 Media Center, I occasionally get the message "Tuner Not Available". The problem goes away after restarting the computer. It can be recording a show, and when the next show comes up, it give me the error message. The device does not have an exclamation mark in Device Manager, and it has the latest driver as well.

It may not be related, but I also get a "Low Data Rate" message sometimes when watching television as well, although this goes away when changing channels.

Are there any solutions?

Thanks.

Question Info

Last updated March 13, 2018 Views 671 Applies to:
Answer

Hi n3uromancer,

Try the below troubleshooting steps and get back to us for further assistance:

Tuner Not available:

To resolve this issue, provide a temporary Internet connection to the computer. Then, run Windows Media Center Setup again. To run Setup again, follow these steps:

1.   Start Windows Media Center.

2.     Click Tasks, and then click Settings.

3.      Click TV, and then click Set Up TV Signal.

4.      When you are notified that changing TV signal settings will interrupt recording, click Yes.

5.      On the Set Up Your TV Signal screen, click Next.

6.      Verify that the correct region is selected, click Yes, use this region to configure TV services, and then click Next.

7.      Click Configure my TV signal automatically, and then click Next.

8.      Verify that the TV signal configuration settings are correct, click Yes, and then click Next.

9.      Click Set Up Guide listings, and then click Next two times.

10. On the Guide Privacy screen, click Yes, and then click Next.

11. If you agree to the Guide Terms of Service, click I agree, and then click Next.
Note To continue, you must click I agree to accept the Guide Terms of Service.

12. Click Manual download, and then click Next two times.

13. When you are prompted, type your ZIP Code or Postal Code, and then click Next.

14. If you are prompted, verify your signal provider, and then click Next.
Note After Windows Media Center has downloaded the Guide, the Internet connection is no longer required.

15. Follow the remaining steps to complete Setup. You may have to restart Windows Media Center.

Also check if the TV tuner card is compatible with Windows 7, refer the below link to the Windows 7 compatibility center:

http://www.microsoft.com/windows/compatibility/windows-7/en-us/Default.aspx

Low Data Rate:

1. Try uninstalling and reinstalling the drivers for the TV tuner card and check for the issue.

The "low data rate" message means the signal quality was low and Media Center wasn't getting enough data from the PC's TV tuner to make a very coherent picture.

You may check with the cable provider and tell them to check signal levels

You may also refer the below link:
http://thegreenbutton.com/forums/t/88035.aspx

Regards,
Manasa P – Microsoft Support.

Visit our
Microsoft Answers Feedback Forum and let us know what you think.

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.