Question

Q: Sound Card not detected

Hi Everyone

My pc is just over a year old and works fine in all respects with Visa 32 bit. the sound card is a Sound Blaster X-fi and 5.1 speakers, 2 gigs of memory and quad core. I shrunk the drive to create a partition etc and installed windows 7 in the new partition ( installed this whilst in Vista and not from a boot sequence.  Booting from the DVD hung at the blue screen with no options to continue).  Anyway the installation went fine and boots in to windows with no problems. except the sound card was not detected.  using the original driver disk does NOT update anything, i.e. pointing to it whilst in update driver mode.  Installing from the disk fails at the drivers part of installation on 15 or so dll's.  after which in the sound section it now says no audio devices are installed.  Before the installation there was one item in this secion, a spdif icon. There was no sound though even though this item was present.  Btw, onboard sound is de-activated in the bios.  Booting into Vista form the option screen and all is working fine.  Any ideas would be most welcome.  I have one other small problem when i try and run an online game (EQ) it throws up an error message saying cannot access memory at 0x00000044 and promptly closes down when the ok box is clicked.  Ohter than this I like Windows 7.
Paul.

Answer

A:

This really sounds like a driver issue, have you guys installed the most up to date driver for your cards?  Are they Windows 7 compatible drivers?

If there are no Windows 7 compatible drivers, another option would be to try and install the Vista drivers to see if there is any change.

You can also contact the manufacturer to see if there's a known compatibility issue between the sound card / driver and the game you are trying to get working.

I wish I could be more help.

If you find that my answer was what you were looking for, please remember to click the "mark as answer" box below!
I'm a PC!

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

1 person was helped by this reply

Question Info

Views: 11,829 Last updated: June 23, 2018 Applies to: