Weird Monitor Issue

I have an issue where my monitor will just go blank.  The computer is running but no display.  My first thought was that this is a display adapter/video driver issue but I not longer think so.  Let me explain.

My set up is a HP M9040N running Windows 7 Ultimate x64.  I have  a nVidia 9600 GSO card that is less than 6 months old and use a Samsung SyncMaster T240 monitor.

This first started happening about one month ago right after I upgraded my video card driver to the latest version.  I would be away from the computer for awhile and when I came back no amount of mouse shaking would bring the screen on.  At that point a hard shut down and boot up would bring things back.

Thursday it got worse.  Hard shut downs would not bring anything back but I would see the BIOS startup screen so obviously the monitor and display adapter has some output.  I started in safe-mode and installed that latest driver from the nVidia website.  No difference, in fact it appears to be the same driver that Windows Update put out.

My next step was to roll back my driver to the one that came with my video card.  This kind of works.  There are new symptoms now.  Now what happens is that after working for awhile I would hear the usual kind of insert/disconnect sound (like plugging in a USB device) and then the screen resolution would change from 1920x1200 to 1024x768.  For some reason the monitor according to the screen resolution control would go from my monitor to a generic.  If I click on the Detect button, the screen will blank out and once again I have to do a hard shut down.  The hard shut down followed by a boot in safe mode and and reboot restores things to normal.

I'm a bit lost so any help is appreciated.

Question Info

Last updated March 13, 2018 Views 673 Applies to:
Answer
Having talked this over with a friend I realized that when my old video card died and I replaced it, I failed to consider the additional power requirements.  According to some sources my new video card and the rest of my configuration required a 550 watt power supply.  The power supply in my machine was only 300W.  I put in a new 650W power supply and seem to be good now.  Lesson learned.

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.