Windows 7 losing additional hard drives?

I've installed Windows 7 RC on my computer (easy installation btw!). I have 3 hard drives.

The issue I'm having is that when Windows 7 boots up, it detects all 3 of my hard drives fine. However, after an indeterminate period of time, two of the hard drives (the ones where Windows 7 is not installed to) disappear and Windows 7 says they don't exist. It can't find files on them, nor do they don't show up in My Computer -> Manage -> Storage Devices.

To get them back, I restart my computer. When I restart however, Windows 7 won't boot up. I have to physically power off the machine in order to get Windows 7 to boot up (and again all my hard drives are visible initially).

I've tried installing the latest chipset driver for my motherboard, but this has not resolved the problem.

I've tried searching for information on this problem but haven't been able to find anything. Is this a known issue? Does anyone know if there's a fix for this?

Question Info

Last updated March 13, 2018 Views 42,857 Applies to:
Answer

Hello Brett_W,

Thank you for using Microsoft Answers forum.  Windows 7 is still in Beta release.  All the features and other options have not been fully program and released yet.  Thank you for your time and efforts in evaluating Windows 7.

I suggest you verify that the drives power cables and controller cables are pushed in and snug.  Are you receiving and error messages?  I suggest checking the Event Viewer for more information concerning an error that you can post to this forum.
You can check the logs around the time the issue occurred.
Here's an article on that:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/947321

You can also visit TechNet.

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en/category/w7itpro?ITPID=sprblog.

Thanks for using the Answers Forum. Please let us know how this works out.

Joseph
Microsoft Answers Support Engineer
Visit our Microsoft Answers Feedback Forum and let us know what you think.

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

Answer

Hello, Brett

Ensure you have the latest chipset drivers for your machine. If the problem persists and since you are also unable to boot when this happens, there might be a hardware problem. You can try using the cable to the drive that works on a different one to see if it’s a cable problem.

As Joseph mentioned, you can visit the Windows 7 Support forums for help: http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en/category/w7itpro

Let us know if this helps.

David
Microsoft Answers Support Engineer
Visit our Microsoft Answers Feedback Forum and let us know what you think.
-----
If you can't fix it with duct tape, you haven't used enough.

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.