Question

Q: USB connected Printer causes other USB devices to fail This thread is locked from future replies

Hi

Operating System - Windows 7 Professional

Printer - Canon Multifunction MP530

The printer is listed as Windows 7 compatible and I have installed the latest drivers on the Canon site.  The printer installed correctly and all its functions work correctly.

When I connect the printer to my machine and power it on the other 7 USB ports fail to operate correctly.  I cannot read a flash drive and my USB connected card reader does not function.

If the PC is loaded with the printer switched off then all the other USB ports function correctly while the printer is switched off.  If I then switch the printer on I can print OK but cannot use any of the other USB devices until I restart with the printer switched off.

In Device Manager the printer is shown as working OK but the card reader is shown as "Device cannot start".

Driver Details USB Host Controller - Provider = Intel, Date = 13/09/2006, Version = 8.2.0.1008

Driver Details USB Hub - Provider = Microsoft, Date = 21/06/2006, Version = 6.1.7600.16385

Any Ideas?

Pete

Answer

A:

My first guess would be an insufficient power supply.

Are these all internal USB ports (ie working off the motherboard?

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Answer

A:

Hi Cari

That was the first thing I checked & it was OK.  I needed to use the printer to print from 2 PCs so I would connect it to whichever PC I neded to print from.  To connect it to the PC that was giving problems I had to use a short USB extension cable.  I have now replaced this with a 3 metre USB printer cable so the printer can be connected to the PC without any joins.  This seems to have cleared the problem.

Many thanks

Pete

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Views: 804 Last updated: March 13, 2018 Applies to: