Is there a way to make Aero work on my system without crashing it?

Hello... I recently upgraded to Win7 Home Premium. Install went smooth, but after logging in I kept getting a range of BSOD Stop messages at random intervals, including 0x0A, 0x24, 0x50, 0x3B (saw that one a lot), 0x7E, 0x7F... occasionally they would be preceded by a charming notification that said "Display driver stopped responding and has recovered," but I soon learned that message was only a precursor to imminent failure. Sometimes it would go days without crashing, but other times it wouldn't go five minutes before BSOD after BSOD.

I finally discovered that all my problems went away if I selected a basic (non-Aero) desktop theme.

So what gives? I have an onboard graphic adapter, the Intel G965 Express chipset, which claims it is Aero-capable.  I have the latest driver for it and dxdiag says it's a WDDM 1.1 driver. Dxdiag also shows I have 358 MB total graphics memory (64MB system, 294MB shared). I'm not a gamer and have not run any graphics-intensive programs since this upgrade. I do like the "Aero experience," but it's causing major instability on my system.

Other system info, if it helps:

• Dell XPS 210 (model DXC061)

• Intel Core 2, 2.4 GHz

• 2 GB RAM

• Windows 7 Home Premium 32-bit*, upgrade version**

*I actually loaded 64-bit first, but with all the crashes I thought maybe that was the problem, so after a couple weeks loaded the 32-bit version and found myself in the same boat as before.

**Technically, I loaded the OEM-supplied Vista OS just long enough to use the Windows 7 upgrade disc. I've never actually run with Vista, so not sure if this is a problem with "Aero" or with "Windows 7 Aero."

Anyway, I'm very happy with Windows 7, and now that I'm not in danger of losing my work at any moment I can go about my business. But I will never be completely satisfied until I understand why my system doesn't support Aero, or what I can tweak to make it work.

Thanks for your help!

Question Info

Last updated March 13, 2018 Views 961 Applies to:
Answer
JS,

Yeah, I know I have a spare PCIe slot but I was hoping there was something in the software I could tweak that would make my onboard adapter work, especially since the chipset I have is said to support Vista Aero (maybe Win7 Aero demands even more from a graphics adapter?).

Anyway, I broke down and ordered a new card today. Turns out I can get the system to crash even without Aero - certain applications seem to do the trick. So I ordered the lowest-end NVIDIA GeForce card I could find (GeForce 210). On the off chance anyone else stumbles upon this thread I'll post whether it makes a difference after I install it.

Thanks for the recommendations.

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

Answer
Open the case cover and see if there is an Available AGP or PCI-E slot for a stand alone graphics card.
Adding a card will give you two benefits:
1) Stable Graphics
2) More memory available for Windows OS.

JS
http://www.pagestart.com

Never be afraid to ask. This forum has some of the best people in the world available to help.
Never be afraid to ask. This forum has some of the best people in the world available to help.

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.