cannot access hard drive

I installed windows 7 dual-boot with vista ult 64-bit. not a problem,. both versions boot and run. however I have had installed 6 sata drives. vista recognizes and access's all 6 in explorer and device manager. windows 7 however recognizes all 6 in device manager but will only display 5 in the compter drive explorer view. there is no method to access the (actually 5th sata) drive. it cannot be accessed by any program I've tried so far. (xp also recognized and accessed all 6 drives when i used it. )
I have a asus rampage formula motherboard,
4 wd 320 hd drives,
1 corsair sshd 6th in sata chain (windows 7 installed on it)
750 wd hd the 5th sata which is not accessable.
8 meg corsair ram 1000wattt ps asus 4850 video card.  running in non raid mode for the moment. I am not impressed with 7 especially since being screwed by the lack of the ult upgrade option

Question Info

Last updated March 13, 2018 Views 1,918 Applies to:
Answer

Hi odinberek,

Welcome to Microsoft Windows 7 Answers Forum!

Thank you for posting this thread!

If I have understood it correctly, you mean to say that on the Windows 7 operating system you are able to see the drive in the device manager but not in the "Computer" explorer window.

* Since you are able to see the drive in the device manager, then you should see that drive in the Disk Management tool as well.
    * If yes, you can change the drive letter of the drive and check.
    * Here is an outline how to access the Disk Management in Windows 7 and change the drive letter.

1. Open Computer Management by clicking the Start button, clicking Control Panel, clicking System and Maintenance, clicking Administrative Tools, and then double-clicking Computer Management.‌
   2. If you are prompted for an administrator password or confirmation, type the password or provide confirmation.
   3. In the Navigation pane, under Storage, click Disk Management.
   4. Now, on the right hand pane of the window locate the drive.
   5. Right click on the drive and click "Change drive letter and paths..."
   6. Click on the tab that reads "Change"
   7. From the drop down menu choose a different drive letter and click Ok.
   8. Restart the computer it should show you the drive.

More information on how to remove windows.old folder
http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows7/How-do-I-remove-the-Windows-old-folder

Hope it helps.

Thanks and Regards:
Shekhar S - Microsoft Support.

Visit our Microsoft Answers Feedback Forum
http://social.answers.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/answersfeedback/threads/ and let us know what you think.
Thanks and Regards,
Shekhar Sharma

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.