Question

Q: Printer Sharing through XP to Windows 7

Alright, here's what I have:

Desktop 1 - Windows 7 64x Bit: There is now Printer Device on this computer.
Laptop 1 - Windows XP 32x Bit: There is a Printer connected to this computer through a specific printer port. (This is an older printer)
Laptop 2 - Windows Vista 64x Bit: There is a newerd, USB port Printer connected to this computer.

All these computers are connected to the same network, however, the laptops are connected to my router wirelessly, while my destop is connected through an Ethernet CAT 5 cable.

Here's my problem.
I'm having trouble finding a way to share both these printers (from Laptop 1 and 2) with my Windows 7 computer.

I've tried almost everything.

There has to be a way for me to connect both these printers to this computer.

Here's what I've done so far:

I went to "Devices and Printers" >> "Add a Printer"
I found the printer on laptop 1, but I was unable to find the printer on laptop 2.
I setup the printer from laptop 1, and it said it installed the drivers, but when I try printing something, nothing happens.
  There's one problem.

Like I mentioned before, I was unable to find the newer printer from laptop 2.
I tried typing in the computer name, and searching for it manually, and still, nothing comes up.

I need help.

Thanks,
DeLukezz

Answer

A:

Try adding the printers as  "local printers" in Windows 7:

Start > Control Panel > Hardware and Sound > Add a printer (under Devices and Printers) > Add a local printer > Create a new port and in the drop-down box make sure "local Port" is selected > Next > then under "Enter a port name " enter the path to the networked printer - \\computer name\printer name > OK

More info in the following link (the link is for Vista but same apples for Windows 7):

»forums.microsoft.com/TechNet/Sho···iteID=17

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Views: 673 Last updated: March 13, 2018 Applies to: