Windows 7 supporting Laserjet printer

In October, 2009, I upgraded my operating system from Windows Vista to Windows 7.  Before the update I connected my HP Laserjet 4/4m Plus printer via a parallel to USB cable.  My current system is an HP Pavillion that does not have a parallel port.  The parallel to USB connection with Vista worked fine.  However, the connection did not work under Windows 7.  I added the laserjet printer on the 'Devices and Printers' screen.  When I tried to print a document, the document did not print and 'went into a black hole'.

I thought I would try a PCI adapter card and called the HP support line to verify that this connection would or would not work.  I was told that Microsoft does not have a fix/software drivers for Windows 7 that would allow the Laserjet 4/4m Plus printer to work under Windows 7. Is this correct?  I have used this printer for several years and want to continue its use because of its reliability and print quality.

If anyone knows of a solution, please let me now.  Thanks for your help. 

Question Info

Last updated March 13, 2018 Views 364 Applies to:
Answer
Try the Belkin USB to Parallel cable, that one is KNOWN to work.  Otherwise, the only option nowadays is a Ethernet port (I don't know whether or not one is available for your printer, I don't have any HP printers, or a new USB/Wired/Wireless printer. 

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.