Question

Q: Trying to connect my Western Digital My Book - USB connection

I have been informed by Wester Digital that it is not compatibile with Windows 7 and was informed to ask if there is a download or patchesfor this to work, I have loads of things stored on My Book and Im worried that I have lost it all.

Please help

This is the EMAIL I received from WESTERN DIGITAL

Dear Mr./Mrs. O'Brien,

Thank you for contacting Western Digital Customer Service and Support.

As this is one of our older models, it is not necessarily compatible with Windows 7. The new operating system has not included drivers for some plug and play devices that were included with earlier versions, therefore this is most likely the reason why it is not recognised. You could contact Windows to ask if they have a download or a patch for this but the drive should still be accessible on computers running XP or Vista.

Page 1 in the manual shows it is compatible with XP and Vista but not 7.
http://www.wdc.com/WDProducts/Library/UM/ENG/4779-705001.pdf

I hope that we have met your expectations today and that you are satisfied with our service. If you have any further questions, please reply to this email and we will be happy to assist you further.

Sincerely,
Laurence
Western Digital Service and Support
http://support.wdc.com

Answer

A:

This is not a Microsoft issue. There is something wrong with the WD external drive. It is still under warranty if you just bought it so contact WD to get a replacement. See if the drive will show up when connected to a different computer. If it will, then copy your data off it so you can return the drive to WD for replacement. Then when you get the new drive copy your data back to it. This isn't an issue of "fair". It's an issue of the fact that you have a new piece of hardware that's broken and what you do to deal with that.
MS-MVP - Elephant Boy Computers - Don't Panic!
Elephant Boy Computers - Don't Panic!

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Views: 2,617 Last updated: March 20, 2018 Applies to: