After upgrade from Vista 64 to Windows 7 64, USB Hard Drive initially works, then at some point all the "folders are empty" and I cannot access files untill I reboot. Then same thing all over again.

My setup was working perfectly fine with Vista 64; I had a 1TB  Seagate Freeagent external hard drive where I had all my pictures, music and movies. These media was monitored by my zune software, windows media player and windows media center, and also shared on my network.

Then I upgraded to Windows 7 64. At first it seemed fine, Windows 7 recognized and external drive, all applications were still monitoring my media from it, and I was able to access the files. But after a couple of minutes of accessing the files, the drive just seems to suddenly go offline. I can still browse the folder structure, but the i don't see any files, and folders are empty. In some folders I see the files (maybe the info was cached) and if I try to access it, I get an error to "check the location of the file" or "file not available". Once I reboot my system, then everything seems back to normal but as soon as I try to access anything, it breaks as before. It fails even more promptly if I try to download something on to the drive.

All the USB drivers seem OK. The external harddrive works normally on my laptop that has a windows 7 32bit, so no problems in the drive itself.
I tried removing all other USB devices (I have 7 USB inputs on and two more on my monitor), I tried changing power options so that USB ports are not automatically shut off by the pc, I tried reinstalling all the hardware drives including the NVIDIA Chipset driver, I even reinstalled windows 7. The issue is still not resolved.

Does anyone know how to resolve this? Any help is much appreciated!

Question Info

Last updated April 12, 2018 Views 1,353 Applies to:
Answer
Please try the hotfix mentioned in this thread and let me know if it appears to resolve the problem:

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/w7itprohardware/thread/38f25c1d-de67-4c74-8845-2cd3a15d8e41/

Thanks,
Mark
Want to know if your current hardware & software will work with Windows 7? Check out these links: **Windows 7 Upgrade Advisor ** **Windows 7 Compatibility Center**

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.