New Motherboard

Hi There,

I just installed a new motherboard in to my PC and now Windows crashes when it tries to start up.  I understand that Windows has diffuculty with recognizing new motherboards when the drivers for an old one are still installed.  Problem is, when I try to run Windows recovery from either the hard drive it tells me 'Windows failed to start' and that a recent hardware change may be the problem.  OK.  So I tried to boot from my Windows 7 CD to run a recovery off of that but it still gives me the same error 'Windows failed to start'  I'm a bit baffled as to how I get past this point... I have all my important files backed up on another hard drive so I would just re-install Windows if I could but I can't even get to a menu to give me the option of wiping my hard drive.  One of my buddies suggested just going out and buying a new, blank hard drive and installing Windows on that but I would rather not.  Any suggestions?

New motherboard is ASUS M4A785-M

Running Windows 7 64bit (non OEM)

Thanks! - Nathan

Question Info

Last updated March 13, 2018 Views 712 Applies to:
Answer

Hi DeliriumTrigger,

While booting from CD/DVD windows uses basic drivers, which helps boot your computer to Windows recovery mode so the issue is related to hardware installed on your computer.

I would suggest you to contact the manufacturer of the motherboard for assistance on the issue: http://support.asus.com/

Regards:

Samhrutha G S - Microsoft Support.

Visit our Microsoft Answers Feedback Forum and let us know what you think.

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.