Question

Q: PCI/Integrated Graphics Problems This thread is locked from future replies

I have an Asus Pundit-R that is working pretty well with Windows 7, apart from the poor performance of the inbuilt ATI Radeon 9100IGP graphics. To try to improve on this I added a Powercolor HD2400 Pro in one of the PCI slots as a cheap upgrade.

Unfortunately, I can't disable the integrated graphics - there's no BIOS option for that (and yes, I have got the latest BIOS!). All I can do is change the priority between Integrated first and PCI second and PCI first and Integrated second.

If I have PCI first then Windows 7 does come up on the HD2400. However, there is a Code 12 error (This device cannot find enough free resources that it can use) on one of the PCI-to-PCI Bridges and the HD2400 shows up as a 'Standard VGA Graphics Adaptor' with a Code 10 error (This device cannot start).

Alternatively, if I have Integrated first then Windows come up cleanly on the integrated adapter and I have two display adaptors available; the onboard one ('Standard VGA Graphics Adaptor' and the HD2400 ('ATI Radeon 2400 Series'). The onboard graphics are running with the Windows 7 vgapnp.sys driver and the HD2400 is running with the latest AMD Catalyst drivers (8.661.0.0). Everything looks good  in Device Manager!

However, Windows 7 then uses the onboard graphics as its primary interface (as expected) and I can't get any output at all on the HD2400. Only one monitor shows up in 'Display... Screen Resolution' and pressing the 'Detect' button fails to add the second display. What I want to do is to get the second display running and then set Windows to use that one exclusively.

I understand that this could be the expected behaviour if vgapnp.sys wasn't a WDDM 1.x-compliant driver, but as it's part of Windows 7 then surely it must be...?

Any ideas about how I can get the HD2400 working?

Answer

A:

if there is no BIOS setting to disable the onboard, it should likely be auto-disabled when an add-on video card is being used. as far as the memory consumption while the add-on card is being used, that should soley controlled via the motherboard BIOS. without that, i see no other way to disable such, other than standard methods.
Help others, let us know what fixes your issue. Click Vote Helpful for those whom help.

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Views: 1,467 Last updated: March 13, 2018 Applies to: