Windows 7 can't find the printer port for my USB printer
I have a Canon PIXMA MP780 printer. It is a USB printer. I downloaded the latest driver, which is supposed to be specifically for Windows 7. Windows installed the driver with no problems, but it is having trouble locating the printer port. I have the
cable connected on both the PC and the printer. I have tried unplugging and re-plugging them both, as well as restarting the machine. The window for finding the printer port has the following message:
"Caution! Cannot detect the printer port. Check that the printer is on and that the cable is connected. If the port has not been detected even though it is connected, disconnect the cable from the printer and then reconnect it."
I am at a loss as to what to do next. The window claims it will close once it finally detects the printer port. I have tried to plug the printer into different USB ports in hope that one of them would finally be recognized, but so far it has been to no avail.
Do I need to reboot? Is there anything else I can do? I didn't have any problems when I was using Windows XP, so I'm sure it is a windows 7 issue.
Thank you for your help.
This thread is locked. You can follow the question or vote as helpful, but you cannot reply to this thread.
Try to uninstall the current version of driver installed on your computer and try to install it from the computer Manufacturers' website. You can follow the below link to download the latest drivers from the computer Manufacturers website:
1. Open Printers by clicking the Start button, clicking Control Panel, clicking Hardware and Sound, and then clicking Printers.
2. Click Add a printer.
3. In the Add Printer wizard, click Add a local printer.
4. Click Create a new port. Make sure Local Port is selected in the list, and then click Next.
5. In the Port Name dialog box, type \\computer name\printer name, and then click OK.
6. Complete the rest of the wizard, and then click Finish.