Blue Screen of Death

Running Windows 7 Professional, IE 8 -- Keep getting unexpected shutdowns with the following errors: 1) Memory Management and 2) PFN List Corrupt.  For the Memory Management error I have run the memory diagnostics and the results indicate that I have a hardware problem and I should contact the manufacturer (Gateway).  Unfortunately, I no longer have a warranty and they charge $60 for 1/2 hour. (I have spent that much and the technical support person didn't resolve my problem).
I don't have a clue as what PFN List corrupt is.  Please note that I am not a tech person and all the reports(dumps) that vare generated are us1eless to me, since they are not clear to read.
I do run all my maintenance and antivirus programs daily and try to keep everything according to protocol.  Yet I keep getting the blue screen of deaths.  Please also note that I always get a window after the fact that reads: "Windows has recovered from an unexpected shutdown."
Questions:  1) If I purchase a new hard disk, would this take care of the problem or not? 2) Does RAM have anything to do with these errors? 3) What other alternatives are there?
Would appreciate solid guidelines and your enlightening me on the above resolution.
Thank you.

Question Info

Last updated March 13, 2018 Views 607 Applies to:
Answer

Hi Dominic -- Thank you for your answer.  I downloaded memtest.org to identify which module
has failed.  However, I can't run the program, since the default program to run it is: Windows Media Center (?)
I have no idea as of why WMC is the default pgm.  I tried to open it with Microsoft Word, but the
data is unreadable.  Is there an easier way? -- i.e., can you forward me a link of the memtest.org program
to execute it (without any Zip files please) and how do I run it to read it properly?  Any other alternatives?
Thanks again and have a great day!

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.