Network printer shows offline after disconnecting from the host machine. Error message 0x00000002 while trying to add the printer.

Original Title: Can't connect to printer in Windows 7.

I have a shared HP printer on LPT1 of a computer (the host) running Windows 7. I temporarily disconnected the printer.
While it was disconnected, someone tried to print from another computer (client 1).
I re-connected the printer and it works without trouble from the host computer. It also works from a client (client 2) that did not previously have the printer installed.

However, client 1 showed it as 'offline'. I could find no way to make it 'online'. I removed the printer from client 1's devices and tried to re-add it. I cannot re-add the printer. All I see is "error message 0x00000002".

The printer is shared and available - nothing changed and it works from other clients.

What is going on? This is ridiculous and extremely frustrating.

Question Info

Last updated March 13, 2018 Views 3,880 Applies to:
Answer

Hi,

Which operating system is installed on the client 1 machine?

If the client 1 machine is Windows Vista or Windows 7, you may follow the given link which have a number of suggestions.

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/w7itpronetworking/thread/f12d3a68-00a7-412e-a210-e0f23d2b5c7d

Hope the information helps. Please post back and let us know.

Regards
Debleena S
Microsoft Answers Support Engineer
Visit our Microsoft Answers Feedback Forum and let us know what you think.

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.