Fixing CD/DVD Drive

Hello. My CD Drive has been missing for several weeks, and do not know exactly when it disappeared. I went through the deleting Upper and lower filters as most places say, then rebooting, and it didn't help. I have created a new reg file and merged, and that brought the drives back, but they did not show that a CD was in. It has since disapperared again, and I do not have Lowerfilters. I have tried system restore, but I always get an error code because it "Cannot access the file". I have updated the firmware from the Dell website, and ran several different virus scans. Itunes and My Computer say the drive is msising, but Device manager says it is functioning correctly and completely updated. My DVD drive is there, it is only the CD drive. I am running Windows 7, and have a Dell Inspiron 1750.

Also, I checked my brothers computer, who has the same set-up, and his registry files are all identical to mine, and his drive works just fine.

Question Info

Last updated March 13, 2018 Views 3,650 Applies to:
Answer

Hi Envycoast,

a. Do you have any third-party burning software installed on your computer?

To resolve the problem, let's first open the Hardware and Devices troubleshooter to run the automated troubleshooting services.

·         Click Start, Control Panel

·         In the Control Panel, click System and Security

·         In the System and Security window, under Action Center, click Troubleshoot common computer problems

·         In the Troubleshoot computer problems window, click Hardware and Sound and under Device select playing and burning CDs, DVDs, and Blu-ray Discs to automatically diagnose and fix a problem.

To check if the above fixed the problem, click Start, click Computer, and then see whether the drive is listed.

If the drive is listed, try to play or access a CD or DVD.

If you can play or access a CD or DVD, the issue has been fixed.

If you cannot play or access a CD or DVD, you may have to reinstall some programs. Some programs might not be able to use your CD or DVD drive until you reinstall those programs. If the problem occurs again when you install or uninstall those programs, contact the manufacturer of the program to see if an update is available that solves the problem. Some examples of programs that might be affected are:

• iTunes software by Apple
  • Nero software by Nero Inc
  • Roxio Creator software by Sonic Solutions
  • Zune software by Microsoft

If the above steps do not fix the issue, access the link below and follow all the steps mentioned under “Windows 7” in the Microsoft KB article:

Your CD drive or DVD drive is missing or is not recognized by Windows or other programs

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/982116

Hope this helps.

Gokul - Microsoft Support

[If this post was helpful, please click the "Vote as Helpful" (green triangle) button. If it helps in resolving your issue, click "Propose As Answer" or "Mark as Answer" button. By proposing/marking a post as Answered, or Helpful you help others find the answer faster.]

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.