Windows 7 Grinds to a Halt when transferring data from USB Device to Computer

This issue has to do with erratic performance in Windows 7 when transferring data FROM as USB device TO the computer.  It does not present itself when transferring data TO as USB device FROM the computer.

When transferring data FROM as USB device TO the computer (ie downloading pictures to the computer from a memory card), Windows 7 will not allow programs to be launched and it eventually grinds to a halt on any existing programs.  Performance returns if the data transfer is canceled or allowed to complete.  The data transfer will almost always complete if not canceled.  This is a problem when there is a large amount of data to transfer as the computer is not usable until the data transfer is complete.  Not something I expect from a brand new computer.

I have tried several different USB devices with the same result so I know it is not the device itself.  HP tech support had me run a diagnostic on my motherboard and everything checked out ok.

The computer is a HP e9300z with AMD Athlon II X4 630 processor and 6 GB memory.  It has a FOXCONN motherboard with American Megatrends BIOS.  Microsoft reports a known issue similar to this in article KB976972.  I tried this but it did not fix the problem.

Here is the info on my USB controller:

USB Controller
Standard OpenHCD USB Host Controller
Driver c:\windows\system32\drivers\usbohci.sys
Driver Version 6.1.7600.16445, 6-21-2006
Standard Enhanced PCI to USB Host Controller
Driver c:\windows\system32\drivers\usbehci.sys
Standard Enhanced PCI to USB Host Controller
Driver c:\windows\system32\drivers\usbehci.sys

Question Info

Last updated March 13, 2018 Views 913 Applies to:
Answer
Hi James470,

Try disabling the security software temporarily and check if that is causing the conflict.
It is a high possibility that one of the installed 3rd party application is causing this conflict.

You are required to perform a clean boot to find the program that is causing this and then disable or remove it.
Here is the procedure to do it:
1. Click Start, type msconfig in the Start Search box, and then press ENTER.
     User Account Control permission.
     If you are prompted for an administrator password or for a confirmation, type the
     password, Or click Continue.
2. On the General tab, click Selective Startup.
3. Under Selective Startup, click to clear the Load Startup items check box.
4. Click the Services tab, click to select the Hide All Microsoft Services check box, and then click Disable All.
5. Click OK.
6. When you are prompted, click Restart.
7. After the computer starts, check whether the problem is resolved.

If the issue is resolved check which third party is causing the problem, referring the link given below:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/929135

8. Also you need to uninstall and reinstall the problem software on your computer.
Reset the computer to start as usual
9. After you have finished troubleshooting, follow these steps to reset the computer to start as usual:
Click Start, type msconfig.exe in the Start Search box, and then press ENTER.
10. If you are prompted for an administrator password or for confirmation, type your password, or click Continue. On the General tab, click the Normal Startup option, and then click OK. 
11. When you are prompted to restart the computer, click Restart.

Hope this helps.

Thanks and Regards:
Shekhar S - Microsoft Support.

Visit our Microsoft Answers Feedback Forum and let us know what you think.

If this post helps to resolve your issue, please click the "Mark as Answer" or "Helpful" button at the top of this message. By marking a post as Answered, or Helpful you help others find the answer faster.
Thanks and Regards,
Shekhar Sharma

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.