ATI Radeon 5770+Windows 7 64 bit Driver problems

I have a sapphire radeon hd 5770 and I recently installed windows 7.  When I install the necessary driver for my graphics card I have to reboot for it to take effect.  Once the reboot is done I am left with a desktop that has no mouse, no icons, and no taskbar.  I have to system restore to delete the Catalyst Control Center (the driver for the 5770).  I need the driver to be installed to use my graphics card but so far no luck.  I have spent 8 hours trying to fix this problem and any help is appreciated.

Question Info

Last updated June 30, 2018 Views 63,640 Applies to:
Answer

Hi,    

Welcome to Microsoft Windows 7 Answers Forum! 

You may note that ATI Radeon 5770 is compatible with Windows 7. You may visit the below link to know more about this.

http://www.microsoft.com/windows/compatibility/windows-7/en-us/Details.aspx?type=Software&p=Catalyst%20Control%20Center&v=ATI&uid=&pf=0&pi=1&s=ATI%20Radeon%205770&os=64-bit

Note if you have installed the drivers ATI Radeon 5770, could you tell us whether the drivers were installed via Windows updates or did you downloaded it from the website.

If it was downloaded from website then you need to update the drivers from device manager and check if the issue gets fixed.

You must be logged on as an administrator to perform these steps.

1.       Open Device Manager by clicking the Start button, clicking Control Panel, clicking System and Maintenance, and then clicking Device Manager. If you are prompted for an administrator password or confirmation, type the password or provide confirmation.

2.       In Device Manager, locate the Display adapter, and then double-click the device name.

3.       Click the Driver tab, and then click Update Driver and follow the instructions.

Also note you need to download only the display drivers leaving behind ATI catalyst control from the link below.

http://game.amd.com/us-en/drivers_catalyst.aspx?p=win7/windows-7-32bit

After downloading you need to install it on your computer and check if the issue gets fixed.

Thanks and Regards:

Suresh Kumar- Microsoft Support.

Visit our Microsoft Answers Feedback Forum and let us know what you think.

1 person was helped by this reply

·

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.