Question

Q: I cannot get my Nvidia graphics card working

I have a Gateway PC, model E-4610D SB.  I upgraded to W7 32 bit from W Vista 32 bit.  Everything was running beautifully before I upgraded (so why did I upgrade?...Christmas present...).  Anyway, I have lost my Nvidia card and my ability to run AERO.  My WEI has dropped nearly two whole points because I can only get my onboard graphics chip to work...I have tried every driver known on Nvidia and Gateway forums/websites.  I have now clean installed W7, back to W Vista, then back to W7...I have uninstalled and re-installed all drivers and the card itself.  It is a Nvidia GeForce 7600 GS.  I cannot find the manufacturer of the card because Gateway will not support me anylonger (they sold the division handling my computer configuration to MPC who went bankrupt).  Everything else is working very well...much better than Vista, in fact...except this.

Is there anyone on here who can help?

Please ask if I have performed a task before telling me to do so....most likely I have already tried it and I can just tell you what the results were.

I am really looking for someone who has specific knowledge of this exact issue and how to get the card to show up in the device manager...

Peter

Answer

A:

Hey sonikdreem,

You mentioned about updating driver from gateway and nvidia websites. Did you do the updates only for your graphics card or for your motherboard and chipsets? If you’ve not done for your motherboard and chipsets, give it a shot and see what happens. Additionally you may consider downloading vista driver and installing it in compatibility mode.

See:
Make older programs run in this version of Windows
http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows7/Make-older-programs-run-in-this-version-of-Windows

If you’ve not tried BIOS update, you may consider doing the same.

Note: Modifying BIOS/complementary metal oxide semiconductor (CMOS) settings incorrectly can cause serious problems that may prevent your computer from booting properly. Microsoft cannot guarantee that any problems resulting from the configuring of BIOS/CMOS settings can be solved. Modifications of the settings are at your own risk.

You may get the updates from:
http://support.gateway.com/support/default.aspx

If both the updates don’t help, have you considered reseating the video card? Try it out and see if this helps in detecting the card.

Regards,

Shinmila H - Microsoft Support

Visit our Microsoft Answers Feedback Forum and let us know what you think.

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

1 person was helped by this reply

Question Info

Views: 842 Last updated: May 16, 2018 Applies to: