windows 7 cannot access my Maxtor USB backup drive but it shows it is working properly under device manager. It does not show that it is present in windows explorer. How do I get it to use the drive?

I have a Maxtor One Touch external drive using a USB cable connection. I use it for backup. Windows 7 recognized it and created a backup image during install a couple of weeks ago. Since then it does not see the drive in Windows explorer. Does not access it for backup. It does show up in device manager and indicates it is working properly. I have unistalled the driver and reinstalled it and the software but it still does not work.

Question Info

Last updated March 13, 2018 Views 2,849 Applies to:
Answer

Hi,   

Welcome to Microsoft Windows 7 Answers Forum! 

You may try the steps as below and check if the issue gets fixed.

Now you need to check for these below given measures.

1)    Try another USB socket.

2)     Try another USB device in the socket to check whether it is working OK.

3)     Is the external hard drive working on any other computer?

Now lets try and remove the upper and lower filters registry values for USB drive, to do that you need to follow the below provided link.

1.      Click Start, click Run, type regedit, and then click OK.

1. Locate and then click the UpperFilters registry value. This value is located in the following registry subkey:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Class\{4D36E967-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}

1. On the Edit menu, click Delete, and then click OK.
    Note If you receive an error when you try to delete the registry subkey, you may not have appropriate permissions to edit the subkey. For more information about how to set or change registry editing permissions, click the following article number to view the article in the Microsoft Knowledge Base:
  2. Locate and then click the LowerFilters registry value. This value is located in the following registry subkey:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Class\{4D36E967-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}

1. On the Edit menu, click Delete, and then click OK.
    Note If you receive an error when you try to delete the registry subkey, you may not have appropriate permissions to edit the subkey.
  2. Exit Registry Editor.
  3. Restart the computer.

Note If you remove both registry values, and then you lose functionality in a particular program such as CD recording software, you may have to reinstall that software. If this problem occurs again, contact the software vendor for help.

REGISTRY EDIT DISCLAIMER:

Important This section, method, or task contains steps that tell you how to modify the registry. However, serious problems might occur if you modify the registry incorrectly. Therefore, make sure that you follow these steps carefully. For added protection, back up the registry before you modify it. Then, you can restore the registry if a problem occurs. For more information about how to back up and restore the registry, click the following article number to view the article in the Microsoft Knowledge Base: 322756

How to back up and restore the registry in Windows :http://support.microsoft.com/kb/322756

Thanks and Regards:

Suresh Kumar- Microsoft Support.

Visit our Microsoft Answers Feedback Forum http://social.answers.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/answersfeedback/threads/  and let us know what you think.

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.