Can’t install new graphics driver

I recently upgraded an older computer [Dell Dimension 4550] to Windows 7 and found I needed a graphics card that supports DirectX 10. After I installed it & turned the computer on, a standard VGA graphics adapter was automatically added with no option to cancel. The instructions for new driver requires the removal of old driver before proceeding. I went to Device Manager and uninstalled the standard VGA driver but of course, to complete the uninstall, I must reboot my computer. This automatically reinstalls the standard VGA again . Please help me out of this endless loop. There must be some simple way to stop this madness!   :- )Thanks.

Question Info

Last updated April 17, 2018 Views 991 Applies to:
Answer

Unfortunately, the GeForce FX 5500 doesn't support DX10, only DX9.  And NVIDIA discontinued driver support for the FX 5 series cards under Windows Vista and later OS.  The last driver released by NVIDIA for this card under Vista and later was a BETA driver from 2006, before Windows Vista was even released.  This is almost certainly the same driver that Windows Update pushed down.

The most likely reason that you couldn't get the driver installed was because the driver on the CD just didn't recognize Win7 as a valid OS.  I would recommend a different graphics card for Win7 (one that is actually being supported with recent drivers for Win7), but if your husband is happy with it, I guess you can't argue with that.

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.