Question

Q: Flash Drive works in Safe Mode but not full Windows 7 Mode

I have an 8GB PNY Flash Drive that works in Windows Vista and the safe Mode in Windows 7. It will not work in the full Windows 7 Mode.

All the other flash drives that I have work fine in Windows 7 full mode.

When I boot the drive up in full Windows, the system takes a long time to ID the device. Then if it does ID it, it shows that the disk is full.

In the disk management process the flash drive as shown with "no media".

The drivers are all shown as identical for all my flash drives and they work fine, this one won't work.

I have updated the chip set and BIOS of the Motherboard (Gigabyte GA-MA785GM-US2H) with the latest drivers and updates.

Answer

A:

Hi dcbtanasi,

Were you able to use that flash drive without any issues earlier on windows 7?

Adding to J W Stuart’s suggestion you may also check if that flash drive gets detected in clean boot state.

Putting your system in clean boot state helps in identifying if any third party applications or startup items are causing the issue.

Try the steps provided under Step 1 in the below article to put your computer in clean boot mode.
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/929135

Thanks and Regards
Umesh P - Microsoft Support.

Visit our Microsoft Answers Feedback Forum and let us know what you think.

[If this post helps to resolve your issue, please click the "Mark as Answer" or "Helpful" button at the top of this message. By marking a post as Answered, or Helpful you help others find the answer faster.]

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

5 people were helped by this reply

Question Info

Views: 2,987 Last updated: March 13, 2018 Applies to: