Windows 7 DVD Drive Disappearing problem

on 2 laptops - almost identical Dell Inspiron 1545's - I have installed W7 RC 64 Bit - After installation, the DVD drive seems to come and go at random - if its not showing, you can push the button to open the drive, and it reappears, and works fine for a while, but then it disappears again.

One one machine, I tried all of the suggestions about removing Uperfilters, and Lowerfilters, etc from the registry, disabled the integrity check, and turned off the driver check - have done all driver updates, and windows updates - now the drive works fine!

On machine 2 - did exactly the same things - drive still having this issue.   I have also tried installed 32 bit W7 on it, and same thing.  It originally came with Vista - and it worked fine.  Also, I know the drive is good - if it can boot and install Windows 7 twice!   Any thoughts/advice would be welcome!

Question Info

Last updated March 13, 2018 Views 1,846 Applies to:
Answer

Hello, LlamaTronics

We appreciate you using the Answers Forum.

You will need to go to the Windows 7 Support forums at the following link for help troubleshooting your problem: http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/category/w7itpro

Thanks.

David
Microsoft Answers Support Engineer
Visit our Microsoft Answers Feedback Forum and let us know what you think.
-----
If you can't fix it with duct tape, you haven't used enough.

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.