Question

Q: 0x000000c1 error while installing the printer This thread is locked from future replies

Original title: OS-Included HP Printer Driver will not install

I recently had to reinstall my Windows 7 machine due to a hard drive crash, and on this fresh install my printer driver will not install.  Nothing has changed in the hardware environment, and the software environment is mostly the same as the previous install.  When plugged in, the "New hardware detected" balloon pops up, and then is replaced with "Driver did not install".  If I go into the device properties to the driver info tab, it says no driver is installed. Hit update driver, searches windows update, downloads a driver, tries to install, and fails.  Printer shows up with a yellow triangle throughout this process.  I've received a 0x0000000c1 error (not sure how many zero's in there) a few times when trying to force the driver install. Any attempt to interact with the printer stalls the entire print spooler service.  The printer is a HP Deskjet 6540 and uses the oem7.inf driver file.  Two other printers (both Canon brand) are connected via network and their drivers installed without problems.  

HP's support site is absolutly useless as it just says to "install the OS included driver." And says nothing else.  I've also seen on other forums that the 0x00...00c1 error indicates a corrupted driver file, but I forced winupdate to download a new driver and install it, and it still fails.

Any help is appreciated.

Stats: Fully patched Win7 Home premium
Intel i7, 6gb ram, 64bit system

Answer

A:

ANSWER well, workaround.  Thanks to some random dude deep into the HP forums:

For everyone that felt ditched by hp with the windows 7 driver for the deskjet 6540 I went manual to Add A Printer and used one model listed in the 6900 series. It will solve the problem since you will lose some functions anyway because you don't have an official upgrade from hp (please hp if you are there anywhere do us justice). It is a fine printer and mine is like new since 2004 more or less.

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

141 people were helped by this reply

Question Info

Views: 67,855 Last updated: April 20, 2018 Applies to: