xlive.dll is missing

Hi,

can anyone help with an xlive.dll is missing error, i have installed darksouls for pc & when i try to launch the game i get this error, i have tried installing the client .exe from m/s but this fails with an install error code 0x80070005, i have tried this numerous times with same result each time.

I have uninstalled the game & gfwl client & re-installed also numerous times.

My o/s is w7 ultimate & i dont have this issue with any other software/games just this newly bought title

thanks

|
Answer
Answer
I was just looking in the GFWL install folder and noticed  dotNETFx40 setup.   Win7 comes with
.NET 3.5,  so if  GFWL has not installed  .NET 4 already then do that manually.
I uninstalled .NET3.5  and manually updated to .NET 4 about a year ago. After installing .NET 4 there should be some Windows Updated for it as well.
I currently have .NET4 Client and 'Extended' ( I think 'Extended' may have been one of the updates).
I'm pretty sure that .NET4  includes functions for all the earlier versions. I've had no problems with
anything that uses the .NET framework since installing .NET4.

Download: Microsoft .NET Framework 4 (Web Installer) - Microsoft Download Center - Download Details

Maybe now that you have been able to install the older version you can uninstall that and
successfully install the new version. There will most likely still be some files or registry entries
from the first install that may facilitate the new install - cross fingers....

If you have not actually been able to set up or log in to the old XBOX account you may do better
when reinstalling the newer GFWL client to start a whole new account with a new email address.
If it's only the update that is breaking then it may be best to stick with the old account when reinstalling.

"it advises that gfwl needs an update & offers a couple of links to follow for said update, neither of which work! so i check updates manually & there is nothing available relevant to gfwl,"
This is why uninstalling the old and reinstalling the newer download is so often suggested.
There have been some BAD DRM over the years, but GFWL  surely takes the cake.

12 people found this reply helpful

Was this reply helpful?

Yes
No

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback.

Question Info

Last updated August 6, 2021 Views 26,881 Applies to: