Unable to play Halo 2 error: Halo 2 for Windows vista has stopped working.

Original title: Halo 2 won't work for me on Windows 7

I have just gotten a copy of Halo 2 for windows vista.  I figured I would have no problem on 7, as I had a friend who has it working 7.  I installed the game, but when I tried to play it, it said that "Halo 2 for windows vist has stopped working

Here are the problem details.

Problem signature:

Problem Event Name: APPCRASH

Application Name: halo2.exe

Application Version: 1.0.0.11081

Application Timestamp: 46368037

Fault Module Name: nvd3d9wrap.dll

Fault Module Version: 8.17.12.6721

Fault Module Timestamp: 4d5eadc9

Exception Code: c0000005

Exception Offset: 00001eb5

OS Version: 6.1.7600.2.0.0.768.3

Locale ID: 1033

Additional Information 1: e19c

Additional Information 2: e19ce9d2dcd06ac32515e8966fc1418d

Additional Information 3: fbd7

Additional Information 4: fbd7d9d0d9d02c0f45dfdd44ae0576c2

I have a dxdiag that I can post if I need to.  This is a completely new, Alienware laptop, which I bought halfway through June this year.  Any help would be apricated.

Answer
Answer
Okay, so checking compatibility link provided, it states that Halo:  Combat evolved and combat evolved custom edition are not compatible, as well as Halo 2; however, I own CE and have it installed on my computer.  It has had absolutely no errors. 

Trying the second link, I watched the video.  My first try was choosing the options of the program ran fine on an earlier version, but now won't install/run properly.  Then, I chose vista as the earlier version.  Trying to run it then got the message:

Initialization failed.  Either insufficient system resources were found to run the game, or game data is missing or damaged.  Reinstalling the game may fix this problem.

I tried using these settings for the three different kinds of Vista it listed, with the same result each time.  I then tried a few different settings, with the same result.

As per the first more information link, my computer has all required hardware and stuff.  All of my ratings are 6 or above, and I read somewhere that Halo 2 needed at least 5. 

The second more information link tells me about ports.  I didn't even get a chance to log in to a windows live account, though.  I also have no other windows live games on my computer. 

A clean start didn't help either.  I uninstalled and reinstalled the program, and that didn't work either.

Thanks for the help, I suppose I am just doomed to buy games that don't work.  Happens to me all the time, I suppose I need to start investigating more closely before I buy stuff.

1 person was helped by this reply

·

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

Question Info

Last updated May 18, 2020 Views 3,160 Applies to: