Older games causes rundll32.exe to open and 100% CPU usage

Gameux.dll, Rundll32.exe, CPU Usage, and no internet! :D what fun!

Starting some (Mostly older) games causes rundll32.exe to open with Gameux.dll and sits at 100% CPU Usage. i know this is due to it attempting to connect to the internet, which i do not have.Whats my alternative to making my games work again! I wanna remove Game Explorer all together but, Microsoft didnt really care to add such an option. if i cant figure it out by tomorrow night, i will boot into a 2nd OS and delete the dll, and if Win7 stops working, i will be switching back to Windows XP.

Any solutions!?

Question Info

Last updated December 22, 2019 Views 8,360 Applies to:
Answer
Answer
I thought it was a pretty well-known issue that the Games Explorer didnt work offline? It opens Rundll32.exe to run Gameux.dll and idles with 100% usage of a core. I think this problem has been around since the begining of Windows Vista (Or atleast since the dawn of Windows 7, not tried this issue on vista.)

ANYWAYS, For anyone reading this in the future (From googling or otherwise) I found a Solution. (Not a pretty one, i take no responsibility, but it worked twice for me.)

I went into the registry (Regedit.exe)
CTRL+F'd (Find)
Searched for GameUX,
and every time it found one, i deleted it. excluding the results inside of areas such as "{xxxx-xxxx-xxxx-xxxx-xxxx}", no need to delete those. but all other GameUX entries, including directories (Not sure of the proper term for registry entries)

ANYWAYS, Long story short, i fixed it by deleting every GameUX Registry entry i could find. all games work now, even offline! :D

8 people were helped by this reply

·

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.