microsoft train simulator from 2001. I have the Ubisoft exclusive CD-ROM.

So I know it is an old game, but my son loves train games and saw one of the train lines on it that he really wants to run. It says it is an incompatible program. Is there ANYTHING I can do to get it to run?
microsoft train simulator from 2001. I have the Ubisoft exclusive CD-ROM. Trying to get it to run on my Windows 7 computer. Keeps saying to insert disc. When I try to reload it tells me to reboot, but never opens the game

Question Info

Last updated September 26, 2019 Views 3,749 Applies to:

Hello Therese,

It sounds like there may be a mismatch of OS architecture. Are you running a 32 or 64 Bit version of Windows 7?  Hint:  go to Control Panel, select System, look at the "System type" line in the first info box.

Does the CD say what operating system its designed for? Can you access individual files on the CD through Windows Explorer?

If you can answer these questions, I'll try to provide additional assistance to you.

Regards,

BearPup

3 people were helped by this reply

·

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

Hello Therese,

It sounds like there may be a mismatch of OS architecture. Are you running a 32 or 64 Bit version of Windows 7?  Hint:  go to Control Panel, select System, look at the "System type" line in the first info box.

Does the CD say what operating system its designed for? Can you access individual files on the CD through Windows Explorer?

If you can answer these questions, I'll try to provide additional assistance to you.

Regards,

BearPup

I am using the Windows 7 Home Premium 64 Bit version with service pack 1, 2009, on a Dell Desktop.

The CD says that it is compatible with the following OS: 95-98-Me-2000-XP

The installation came on 2 discs. Disc one does not seem to have a way to open it to access files, but disc 2 does. I chose the 'recommended' install option. I rebooted once done as instructed, but it tells me that I am missing the 'correct CD-ROM. Close program, insert disc and reopen.'  If I try to re-load the game, it tells me I need to reboot, as all updates have been installed, so I am guessing I need to un-install the game and try again, but maybe with the custom install.  I used the Windows 7 compatibility troubleshooter without success, and in the final analysis, it said it was not a compatible product.

Is there any way around this? My son has autism, and is quite upset this won't work. Once loaded properly, he will be able to get the program to do amazing things (how exactly he knows how to run all these train simulators is beyond me) so any help you can provide is greatly appreciated.

I hope I gave you all the necessary tech information you need and look forward to your reply

Sorry this didn't help.

So I uninstalled the program, figuring that would be the next step necessary, but after rebooting the computer, when I try to install the program, it still acts like the program is there, and that I need to reboot the computer. I found another reply on a similar question about compatibility mode etc. but can not seem to get past this error message that the files are updated and I need to reboot.  I had this same problem with an old Thomas game, and gave up on that as well. 

What is happening here?  Is there a more permanent uninstall step I am missing?  The computer seems to know that files were recently present, so it won't let me try again.  I am logged in under my son's account, and then give my admin password when asked. Should I be logged in under my name to have a more admin presence?  Clutching at straws here...

1 person was helped by this reply

·

Sorry this didn't help.

Hello Therese,

I'm sorry to say that the game will not work on your 64 Bit computer. The game is really a 16 bit application, which can't run on a 64 Bit operating system. As to uninstalling the application, there are probably some registry entries left over. I use and recommend IOBit Uninstaller to get rid of applications. Download it from here:  http://download.cnet.com/IObit-Uninstaller/3000-2096_4-75161625.html?tag=mncol;1  (use Direct Download Link only).

But all is not lost. Here is a freeware train simulator that has gotten top reviews, read more about it and download from here:  http://www.techsupportalert.com/content/want-drive-train-top-class-sim-free.htm . Hopefully your son will find this as amusing as the Microsoft game!

Let me know if this helps you out.

Regards,

BearPup

Sorry this didn't help.

If the game installed at all it uses a 32bit installer. If it had a 16bit installer it would not even begin
to install.
[ EDIT - Your version of the game is a re-release by Ubisoft form around '05.
This brings us to another issue that comes with games from '04-'05 and 64bit Window - DRM.
The easiest fix for this is usually a noCD patch, unfortunately there seems to only be a patch for
the German version of the game].

I have read that installing using compatibility mode for XP sp2 will work with 64bit Win7.
- To install in compatibility mode  close the install/setup screen after the CD autorun.
Then  go to - Start/Computer  and R/click on the DVD/CD drive.
Now, click Open - and R/click on the setup.exe  (or whatever the installer is called. It will be an .exe ) - then properties ,  and set compatibility to  XP sp2  in this case .
Tick run... as administrator as well, just for luck.
Now start the install directly from the setup.exe .

[    EDIT: Also found this site, which may make my suggestions below redundant -
http://msts.steam4me.net/tutorials/installing_msts_w7.html   ]

"I am logged in under my son's account"

Using the 'run...administrator' option should help with this, but logging in as administrator
is a surer bet. You may also want to disable UAC and your AV temporarily.
- Another option is not installing in the default location - Program Files (x86) as this is a system
protected folder. If there are no  other Partitions or HDD to install to just make a new folder in
C:\ . Name it what you like and install games to their own sub-folders in that.

"it still acts like the program is there"
- Probably because there are still some files. If I/Obit does not help -
Before trying to reinstall the game delete any folders that may have been left after uninstalling.
There may not be any, but if the games install folder is still there delete it and also check in your
User\ My Documents or AppData folder for anything relating to the game. It may be in an Ubisoft folder, an MS folder, or a folder with the games name.
- If you still have issues then it may be due to a registry entry. If you have a system restore point
to before you uninstalled the game rolling back to that and then uninstalling again from and admin account should delete registry entries.

- What are the system specifications on your desktop ? Does it use integrated graphics or a dedicated
graphics card ? Games react differently to integrated graphics, some don't recognise them as viable
graphics adapters or have an issue when there is no dedicated VRAM.
Some (as I just found with Star Wars Knights of the Old Republic) will only run in a window if using
integrated graphics (In this case Intel HD4000).

I was also surprised to find that MTS can use up to 1GB system RAM.

[EDIT: 9/14 - Since starting this post I've found that Tony Hawk 2 will run on Intel HD4000 (full screen),

but not on Nvidia GTX770. I expect the same would apply to some other older games as well. ]

With new Win7 machines it is always a good idea to run the Direct X Web Installer as well -
Download details: DirectX End-User Runtime
Check with DELL for updates for your motherboard drivers and too.
Graphics drivers for desktop are generally sourced from the cards mfg web site, but sometimes you
may need to get them from DELL ( more commonly with laptops though).

Apparently there can also be issues with colour and keyboard assignments, but I don't know if they
are inherent in the game (check for patches too) or something to do with the posters system.

Further to the above do a good search for forums specific to MTS and you should find a way to
get the game running properly.

Sorry this didn't help.

So there is a step by step guide on the STEAM website (it was listed in the next reply on July 5). I was able to successfully install the game. Thank you for trying to help. The free ware site you suggested doesn't work anymore though apparently.

Therese

Sorry this didn't help.

Hello Therese,

Thank you for keeping me up-to-date. I'm glad you got the game working - that was the important part. And I won't recommend that freeware site anymore either, thank you for that info.

Happy computing to you and your son.

Regards,

BearPup

Sorry this didn't help.

I have 32 bit will this work in that?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hello,

Yes, the game works in both 32 and 64 Bit Windows. So too, does the STEAM Website.

Regards,

BearPup

Sorry this didn't help.

i am having windows 8.1 64 bit. but there also game is not supporting pls help ? i am having hp pavilion 4 gb ram 4gb graphic card .

Sorry this didn't help.