When attempting to start Flight Simulator 2004, I receive a warning stating " Login as administrator required"

Original title: Login as administrator warning

When attempting to start Flight Simulator 2004, I receive a warning stating " Login as administrator required". This has never happened to me before and I cannot start the simulator. I tried creating another user account with administrator rights and reinstalling the simulator in that account. It did not work. I do not know how to remove windows updates and I cannot revert my windows to an earlier state. Starting Flight simulator in "Safe Mode" doesn't help either. Any help anyone can give me would be greatly appreciated. Thank you in advance.

Answer
Answer

I have not confirmed that this applies to FS-04, but do know it applies to CFS2 & 3 (released in 2000).

- Assuming your are using the disk based version of the game it may not be loading because of DRM Blocking

If you 'open' the games CD and find the file secdrv.sys, read on (if not read on anyway ;)  ).

- If you are not using the disk based version of the game, what follows does not apply....

[EDIT: I have three Need for Speed games (Undergound 1&2 and Most Wanted (2005) that use SafeDisk

but don't have a secdrv.sys file on the disk.

They will not run without a noCD fix on Win10 either, so is seems the secdrv.sys need not be present

for the DRM to be blocked]

[EDIT: Note too that some games have patches that remove the DRM (or make it inert ), allowing you to

run the game without the disk, so these games will not be affected by DRM Blocking if fully patched.]

[EDIT: Some games that use SafeDisk will not install from the disk. In this instance if you copy all the files from

the disk(s) to a folder on your desktop, or other location of your choice (this folder gets deleted after installing),

the game should install successfully from that location. ]

-------------------------

[EDIT: 4 May 16 - Since starting this post I have found that some game publishers will give you a Steam

key for your disk based game ( 2K games is one). EA  are also allowing the transfer of some disk keys to

your Origin account. I haven't verified if UbiSoft is doing the same.]

This bogus 'run as admin' error is an indictment on MS's policy of DRM blocking.

Their lack of courtesy in not including a proper error messages when Windows prevents people

from playing an old disk based game has been causing many people to run around in circles.

- DRM blocking was introduced with Win10, and Win10 is the only OS which has no option
to disable this protection racket. An User on/off option would have been considerate.

- MS then installed DRM Blocking to Win7/8/8.1 users subversively via 'security' update - KB3086255 .
So basically what we have with DRM blocking is a malware installed by MS .

[A malware being a code that a user unwittingly installs, or does not give permission to, that causes problems

with their machine. In this instance the malware prevents people from playing disk based games.]

- With Win7/8/8.1  you can use commands (in article linked below)  to toggle DRM blocking on/off.

MS15-097: Description of the security update for the graphics component in Windows: September 8, 2015

[ EDIT: George describes how to make batch files to make it quicker to enable/disable DRM Blocking

in one of his post  in  ---This Thread---  ]

Easiest way around DRM blocking, and the only way on Win10, is with a noCD patch...

- Fortunately, these old DRM never worked anyway. 90% of these old games have a noCD fix/hack available
to circumvent the CD check.    ---here---

A noCD is at least as safe as using the Command option as the suspect driver is never invoked due to the

circumvention of the CD/DVD check.

People have been using noCD's for years, both to avoid the nuisance of stuffing around with the disk,
or because some of these DRM caused problems, such as an endless disk check loop.

And some DRM were not compatible with 64bit OS's. Thanks to hackers people have been able to

play what they paid for.

The site linked above has been around since '98 (judging by the copywrite date).

I've been downloading from then for over ten years.

The new MS regime has made using noCD's with disk based games more necessary than ever.

- With Win7 the 'security' update can be uninstalled.

If the secdrv.sys  driver is in fact a security risk, this is the least safe option. 

- [EDTI: Feb17. Link no longer working.  ] 

A long list (still incomplete) of game titles and the DRM used on them.

Not all versions of SafeDisk are a problem though. So the best clue is if  secdrv.sys is on the games disk .

- Some versions of SecuROM, StarForce  and older versions of Tages can be incompatible with 64bit OS's ,

but this is a different and older issue. The only fix for this is also an noCD patch.

Game Database - DAEMON Tools Forum

45 people were helped by this reply

·

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

Answer
Answer
Will wonders never cease! I too, was experiencing the same issues with FS2004 and CFS3 which started sometime in the past few months or so. Located update KB3086255 and deleted it and all seems to be working again.

60 people were helped by this reply

·

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

Question Info

Last updated August 3, 2020 Views 76,909 Applies to: