I can't get Age of Empires 2 to lan via windows 7 to windows 7

I've been trying to get a LAN happening of the great game known as Age of Empires. The problem is None of the computers will find each other inside the game. I have done ping tests, which were all successful. I have turned off all firewalls, add exceptions done all the occurring issues which happens with most games. I have even tired using a LANOIP. I believe it could be something to do with different protocols which were in windows XP.

Question Info

Last updated January 27, 2019 Views 12,218 Applies to:
Answer
Answer

Hi BrytonWishart,

I would suggest you to place the computer in a clean boot state and troubleshoot the issue and check if it helps. You can start Windows Vista or Windows 7 by using a minimal set of drivers and startup programs. This kind of startup is known as a "clean boot." A clean boot helps eliminate software conflicts.

How to troubleshoot a problem by performing a clean boot in Windows Vista or in Windows 7
(Step 1: Perform a clean boot)

If your issue is resolved after performing Clean Boot, then follow the steps mentioned in the following KB article to narrow down the exact source:  http://support.microsoft.com/kb/929135

Also, see the section on how return your computer to a Normal startup mode by following the steps under “Reset the computer to start as usual”, after performing the clean boot troubleshooting.

Also, have a look at the following steps suggested by Mike - Support Engineer in the following link:

When attempting to play multiplayer in Age of Empires II: The Conquerers, Windows 7 machine unable to join game

Hope this helps.

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.