How to keep Windows 7 beyond August 2016

Hello !

I have 2 legal copies of Windows 7 Professional. I am very happy. I play with the Lockheed Martin P3D simulator Version 2.5, with Microsoft Flight Simulator X and Microsoft Flight Simulator 2004.
But Flight Simulator 2004 does not work with Windows 10.
I want to keep Flight Simulator 2004.

My question: How can I keep Windows 7 after August 2016? Without to block windows update continually offer me who wants Windows 10? And how do I get upgrades to Windows 7 Day until January 2020? A detailed response to Microsoft would be welcome.

Sincerely, Marc Roujansky

Question Info

Last updated August 12, 2019 Views 316 Applies to:
Answer
Answer

Marc

You can keep Windows 7 as long as you like. Microsoft will not stop you. Your last opportunity to get a free upgrade to Windows 10 expires 28 July 2016. What will happen is that you will progressively cease to receive support. The arrangements, which are complex, are detailed here:
http://windows.microsoft.com/en-gb/windows/lifecycle

A lot of problems arise from setting Windows Update to automatically update. You may prefer to change this setting. Select Start, All Programs, Windows Update, Change Settings. Under Important Updates is a box showing the current setting. Click on the Arrow down to the right and change the selection to “Check for Updates but let me choose whether to download and install them” and click on OK. Restart your computer.

Select Start, All Programs, Windows Update, Check for Updates. If optional updates are available click optional updates and make sure that the box before Upgrade to Windows 10 is unchecked. Right click on Upgrade to Windows 10 and select Hide this Update. Check the boxes before the remaining updates. Click on Install and click again on Install in the next window and the process of installing starts. You should let the process proceed without interruption. Multi-tasking at the time updating is in progress is unwise. The progress window will tell you what is going on. You need to be patient. Restart the computer when prompted to do so.

You may find that Upgrade to Windows 10 does not stay hidden. If that happens repeat the exercise as necessary.

Right click on the Start button and select Properties, Taskbar tab. Click Customise (under Notification area). In the next window place the cursor on GWX  1  and use the scroll  2  to change the behaviour to Hide icon and notifications  3  and click OK  4  . You may need to uncheck the box before Always show all icons and notifications on the taskbar to be able to change the GWX icon behaviour.

Gerry
Stourport-on-Severn, Worcestershire, England
Enquire Plan Execute

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.