Garretbp asks about loading a low end pc game on Windows 7.

I recently had to have a hardrive replaced at the reputable pc store where I originally bought my pc. Before I got there, another store that I respect

upgraded my OS from XP to Windows 7. Everything worked fine. When I recently had my hardrive replaced along with Windows 7, I noticed one of

my low end pc games from 1998 won't load. That was not a problem with the other version of Windows 7. The pop up window that I get reads, "The version of this file is not compatible witht he version of Windows your running". "Check your computer system information to see whether you need a 32 bit or 64 bit version of the program then contact the software publisher". I know that my system is 32 bit. My question is do I need to take my pc back to the store that originally upgraded my OS to get that version that will play my game? I loaded Doom 3 with no problem and a game like BattleZone 2 (that is not nearly as intense) won't play now, but did on the original version of Windows 7 I first had before the hardrive upgrade.

Question Info

Last updated February 27, 2018 Views 54 Applies to:
Answer
Answer
The retail price for a "Windows Anytime Upgrade" from Windows 7 Home Premium to Windows 7 Professional is about $200, so unless that second shop gave you the new hard drive and 2 GB of RAM for free, you should go back and get your Win 7 Pro re-installed (service pack 1 for either is a free download from Microsoft).

That link I gave you earlier suggests that the Battlezone 2 patch makes it compatible with Windows 7, but I have no personal knowledge of whether it is safe or effective.
-----
LemP
Volunteer Moderator
MS MVP (Windows Desktop Experience) 2006-2009
Microsoft Community Contributor (MCC) 2011-2012

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.