Fallout 3 Windows 7 crash on startup, tried patch, xlive.dll fix, ffdshow does nothing

My laptop should be a sufficient enough system to run Fallout 3.
Windows 7
core i3
4gb ram 32/64x
cocoa 2 smartaudio
intel graphics hd

I downloaded the patch from the Fallout website, then got the xlive.dll error, downloaded the patch to fix that, continued to crash on startup, searched for ffdshow couldn't find it, when I found it in the registry enabling or disabling it has nothing to do with gameplay or fallout port, also read elsewhere that it's another fix that doesn't work - especially for windows 7 users.  Tried running in Vista and XP, I'm set to run everything as admin., none of this ____ works.  I bought this game retail, since when does a game not work?  AND when I paid full price for it?  This is ____ stupid.  Is it the graphics card - I don't think so?  Please help, I don't play much games, was really looking forward to trying this one out.  But I guess things just aren't made the way they used to...to work.

Question Info

Last updated July 13, 2019 Views 135,566 Applies to:
Answer
Answer

Hi litleredpoetess

I would suggest you to check with the manufacturer regarding Windows 7 compatibility. 

You may even check for the compatibility from the below link: Windows compatibility center: http://www.microsoft.com/windows/compatibility/windows-7/en-us/default.aspx

Try installing the setup file in Windows Vista or XP compatibility mode. Steps to follow:

i.        Right Click on the game (On .exe file)

ii.      Click on Properties

iii.    Click on Compatibility tab

iv.     Select Run this program in compatibility mode and select windows vista

Below link for more reference: Make older programs run in this version of Windows: http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows7/Make-older-programs-run-in-this-version-of-Windows

If the program or software is not compatible with windows 7 and if you are not able to run the software in compatibility mode then you need to contact the manufacturer of the software or program, for there are any update or patch for Windows 7.

Thanks and Regards:

Samhrutha G S - Microsoft Support.

Visit our Microsoft Answers Feedback Forum and let us know what you think.

1 person was helped by this reply

·

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.