Error in ChessTitans for Windows 7

When playing as white against the computer on level 6 (don't know about the other levels) when you move the White Queens Bishop Pawn to White Queens Bishop 4 if there is a Black Queens Pawn on White Queens 4 the computer will make the illegal move of capturing the White Queens Bishop Pawn and occupy White Queens Bishop 3.  Has this been identified previously?

Question Info

Last updated February 27, 2018 Views 150 Applies to:
Answer

It is not an error, it is the special pawn en passant capturing move that you are seeing.

When a pawn moves 2 places forward so that is adjacent to an opposing pawn then it may be taken by that opposing pawn as if it had moved only 1 place forward. The en passant pawn capturing move can ony be done on the move immediately after the opposing pawn moves 2 places forward - if it isn't the oppurtunity is lost on that occasion.

En passant has been part of standard (non-computer chess) for a very long time so your computer is following standard cesss rules correctly.

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.