DirectX 11 Issue

I have always had issues with DirectX 11 when playing games (Crysis 2, ACIII) and have always just used DX9 or 10 (which works fine).  I ran the Heaven benchmark and produced the two images at the end.  Do you have any idea what would cause this (or even what I would call the issue so I can search for it online)?

The issue is interlaced squares (like a checker board) of the normal scene and black.  The blackness jitters around in the "bad" squares.  At first I thought it might be a shader issue because the squares were evenly spaced across the entire viewing area, but maybe its an issue with textures given that various elements of the scene don't display the problem.

Image Links:

http://postimage.org/image/6xnwjmf7t/1ab07697/

http://postimage.org/image/8czl2dy0v/dc0e6a79/

http://postimage.org/image/473n069qn/ebac6f40/

Video Link:

http://youtu.be/O7DyLWzV-gM

I am running Win7 x64 and DxDiag has no issues.  I have downloaded the DirectX installer and it completes fine.  I have tried installing the DirectX SDK and it fails without any kind of useful error.  Normally I would just uninstall DirectX and reinstall it, but yall baked it into the operating system :(

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

System Specs:

Operating System: Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit (6.1, Build 7601) Service Pack 1 (7601.win7sp1_gdr.130104-1431)
Processor: AMD Phenom(tm) II X4 955 Processor (4 CPUs), ~3.2GHz
Memory: 8192MB RAM
DirectX Version: DirectX 11
DX Setup Parameters: Not found
DxDiag Version: 6.01.7601.17514 32bit Unicode
Card name: ATI Radeon HD 5800 Series
Manufacturer: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc.
Chip type: AMD Radeon Graphics Processor (0x6899)
DAC type: Internal DAC(400MHz)
Display Memory: 755 MB
Dedicated Memory: 1012 MB
Shared Memory: 3839 MB
Current Mode: 1920 x 1080 (32 bit) (60Hz)
Output Type: HDMI
Driver File Version: 8.17.0010.1172 (English)
Driver Version: 9.12.0.0
DDI Version: 11
D3D9 Overlay: Not Supported
DXVA-HD: Not Supported
DDraw Status: Enabled
D3D Status: Enabled
AGP Status: Enabled

Driver Packaging Version: 9.012-121219a-152192C-ATI
Catalyst Version: 13.1
Provider: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc.
2D Driver Version: 8.01.01.1278
Direct3D Version: 9.14.10.0945
OpenGL Version: 6.14.10.12002

Nothing is overclocked.  No errors in DxDiag.

Answer
Answer
"remarkable search-fu"

lol - I don't visit  the ATI forum much just yet. I've only been using an ATI card for three months.
Mostly here, and Nvidia. Just a coincidence I stopped in there earlier.
  Thisis  my first ATI card in about six/seven years (HD7970). I switched to Nvidia after an 1950XT borked, but not just because of that. More that Nvidia had the right card at the right price at the time.
I was going to get a 5850 on a new machine two+ years back, but when I was shopping there was a big gpu shortage from both mfg's so I had to settle on the lesser - GTX260.
That machine - Phenom II 965, now has a GTX560ti.

"I'll have to spring for a new card."
With the games you are looking at playing I think - yes.
Not necessarily because of the pixelation.  I don't think that should normally be happening
just because of the  extra stress of using DX11, but because of the overall requirements of the games
you are playing, assuming you like max eye candy.
The 5850's capability to use DX11 would not always translate to capacity to push everything,
and the newer cards are a good step up. Use less power, and create less heat too.

Apparently you can get the new Bioshock  and Crysis 3 key with both ATI and Nvidia over in the USA.
No such luck down here in the 'lucky' , not, country (Oz) -  !

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback.

Question Info

Last updated June 6, 2019 Views 1,350 Applies to: