Question
Applies to

BSOD "dxgmms1.sys" while playing World of Warcraft on Windows 7 Ultimate x64

rcoop2 asked on

I recently did a fresh new install of Windows 7 (deleting hard drives/formatting etc.) and installed WoW today along with every windows update, direct x, c++ etc. I played for about 4 hours and I got a BSOD. I looked at the dmp with BlueScreenView and it says dxgmms1.sys was the problem. I don't know what that is or how to fix it so any help would be appreciated. I have included my dmp file in a mediafire link HERE if anyone wants/needs to have a further look.

1 person had this question

Abuse history

The answered status icon Answer
Patrick Barker replied on

Hi,

The attached DMP file is of the SYSTEM_THREAD_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED_M (1000007e) bug check.

This indicates that a system thread generated an exception which the error handler did not catch.

BugCheck 1000007E, {ffffffffc0000005, fffff8800fdb7ec8, fffff88007c22668, fffff88007c21ec0}

^^ The 1st parameter of the bug check is 0xc0000005 which indicates an access violation occurred:

2: kd> .exr 0xfffff88007c22668
ExceptionAddress: fffff8800fdb7ec8 (dxgmms1!VIDMM_GLOBAL::ReferenceAllocationForPreparation+0x00000000000000c4)
   ExceptionCode: c0000005 (Access violation)

^^ The access violation occurred in dxgmms1!VIDMM_GLOBAL::ReferenceAllocationForPreparation.

-- dxgmms1.sys is the Direct X MMS.

------------------

1. Remove and replace AVG with Microsoft Security Essentials for temporary troubleshooting purposes as it's likely causing conflicts:

AVG removal - http://www.avg.com/us-en/utilities

MSE -  http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/security-essentials-download

2. In your loaded drivers list, dtsoftbus01.sys is listed which is the Daemon Tools driver. Daemon Tools is a very popular cause of BSOD's in 7/8 based systems. Please uninstall Daemon Tools. Alternative imaging programs are: MagicISO, Power ISO, etc.

3. Ensure you have the latest video card drivers. If you are already on the latest video card drivers, uninstall and install a version or a few versions behind the latest to ensure it's not a latest driver only issue. If you have already experimented with the latest video card driver and many previous versions, please give the beta driver for your card a try.

Regards,

Patrick

Debugger/Reverse Engineer.
1 person found this helpful

Abuse history

progress