memory leak??

Hi Guys, Ok so for the last few weeks i've been trying to fix this but i cant and now im all out of ideas so im hoping someone here will be able to.

The problem occurs when im installing a game, after a minute or two while its installing my memory usage will start increasing and it does this all the way up to 99% where it will sit until i reboot my pc.

Now this only happens when i install a game, i can do ANYTHING else and its fine ie play games, encode videos, move files etc etc all fine.

Right, things ive tried so far...
First thing i did was open task manager and see what was using up the memory unfortunately there wasn't anything there that was using it even so i still shut down every single process and it still was at 99% memory usage (btw this takes forever to do when your memory is maxed out)
I tried running sfc/scannow (nothing wrong)
Next thing i did was run memtest 86+ all night (10 hours) No Errors
After that i ran prime95 blend test all night (10 hours) No Errors
Then i ran disk doctor on all my HDDs and fixed any problems it found
After all that didnt help i decided to format my pc and start afresh so i reinstalled vista 64 thinking this has got to fix it, but no it didnt.
This all just happened out of the blue after my system was running fine for nearly a year.

Im all out of ideas guys so please, if you think of anything please post.
Thanks for reading, take it easy.

Question Info

Last updated March 25, 2018 Views 733 Applies to:
Answer

Hello Mcdstudent, welcome.

My suggestion would be to take a better look at your harddrive for potential problems. Try this:

PERFORM A DFT USING UBCD

1. Go to http://pharry.org/data/ubcd411.zip
2. Select 'Save' and download to someplace easy to get access to (like your desktop)
3. Once downloaded, extract the files
4. Grab a blank CD-R or RW and place it in the CD burner
5. Use any program to burn the contents of the extracted folder to the CD. You can even go inside the folder, copy all the files, open up 'My Computer' or 'Computer', open up the CD burner drive listed, and right click > paste

IMPORTANT!! You must put the files and folders themselves at the root of the CD. In other words, if you burn the CD, you should NOT have to go to:

<cd drive>\ubcd\xxxxx.exe

It should be:

<cd drive>\xxxxx.exe

(Hope that makes sense)

6. Once the CD has been prepared, stick it in your computer's CD/DVD drive, start up the computer, and press whatever key combination is needed to boot off of the CD

7. It will display a prompt to press enter to boot. Do so
8. Once at the main menu, go to the harddrive diagnostics/tests category
9. From here, run the IBM/Hitachi DFT. Its a generic test thats compatible with most harddrives.
10. The system will attempt to boot into a linux-based envoirnment. Just keep hitting the enter key to every prompt (except the ones that specifically ask you to hit another key)
11. Once inside, run the Advanced Test

Let us know what it finds,

Thanks!

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.