Question

Q: Microsoft Games keep disappearing

Hello.  Some of my Microsoft games (e.g, Freecell, Solitaire, etc.) periodically disappear from my Desktop -- usually after the computer wakes from sleep mode.  When that happens, I also cannot open them from the Control Panel.

I've noticed that others seem to have this problem too.  I've tried the check/uncheck Games trick discussed in the forums.  This doesn't work.  I've been able to use the System Restore, but it is tedious to keep doing that and I'm afraid that I might lose some programs or work one time doing that.  I've run anti-spyware and anti-virus programs but they haven't found anything. 

Anyone have any suggestions?  Thanks.

Answer

A:

Hi,

Which operating system have you installed on the computer?

First, delete the desktop game shortcuts and create new shortcuts.

Also follow these steps:

Step 1: Perform a  clean boot.

Check if a third party program or service is causing the problem.

Refer this KB article for more information:

How to troubleshoot a problem by performing a clean boot in Windows Vista or in Windows 7

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/929135

Steps to perform a clean boot:
a. Click the start orb on your desktop
b. Type msconfig in the Start Search box, and then press ENTER.
If you are prompted for an administrator password or for a confirmation, type the password, or click Continue.
c. On the General tab, click Selective Startup.
d. Under Selective Startup, click to clear the Load Startup Items check box.
e. Click the Services tab, click to select the Hide All Microsoft Services check box, and then click Disable All.
f. Click OK.
g. When you are prompted, click Restart.

NOTE: Please ensure to start your computer in normal mode after troubleshooting. Follow Step 7 from the KB article mentioned above.

Step 2: Create a new user account.

Check if the issue occurs in a new user profile.

Step to create a new user account:
a. Open User Accounts by clicking the Start button, clicking Control Panel, clicking User Accounts and Family Safety, and then clicking User Accounts.
b. Click Manage another account.   If you are prompted for an administrator password or confirmation, type the password or provide confirmation.
c. Click Create a new account.
d. Type the name you want to give the user account, click an account type, (Administrator) and then click Create Account.

Refer this link for help:
http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows7/Create-a-user-account

Regards,
Afzal Taher-Microsoft Support.
Visit our Microsoft Answers Feedback Forum and let us know what you think.

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Views: 612 Last updated: March 25, 2018 Applies to: